What killed my fish?

morganatlanta

Market
Reaction score
I lost power last night around 1AM and it didn't come back on until around 7AM. I was sleeping the whole time. Everything was back up and running when I got up around 7:30 and went down to look at the tank, but I found 5 fish were dead-- two royal grammas. a green chromis, a clown tang and the male black clownfish. The female clownfish, lunar wrasse and three chromis survived, but I haven't seen the other 4 grammas, 3 chromis or my pair of gobies. They could be dead in the rock work somewhere.

I have a battery backup for the main pump, but not the heaters. I'm wondering if it could have been a low temp situation. But, it was only 67 in the house, which doesn't seem low enough to have had such a devastating effect, and there were no low-temp alarms going off when I got up. Or, maybe some sort of power surge/spike that somehow got into the tank? One of the power supplies for my lights is dead this AM, indicating something like that could have happened, but all the pumps, heaters and power heads in the tank seem to be working fine.

Just looking for opinions of what cause might be more likely.

Tank is a 120 gallon, mature SPS-dominant mixed reef. All the parameters seem fine and the surviving fish are behaving normally.

So everything else loooks good except for the fishes that died and are missing? No gapping or acting strange. Idk. But I would do a water change and etc etc etc

Back