What kills mushroom corals, but not zoas/pallys/hammers?

imay1280

Market
Reaction score
Ok, lost the handle here somewhere along the line the last two weeks, and I'm trying to narrow it down. Nitrates went through the roof (40ppm as of yesterday's check, was at 80ppm on Monday!!!!), but phosphates and ammonia are both at near nil (slight coloration on testing, but not enough to even take a guess at). I've been doing steady water changes, and haven't done anything else besides normal feeding, etc. ****box LED's for lighting (full spectrum), set on a timer, with no adjustments recently. Alk and Calcium are both in the normal range as well.

With that said, I have had a massive shrivel/die off of mushroom corals in my tank over the last two weeks. My frogspawn also looked like it was done for, but has since started making a concerted effort at recovery. I lost three very healthy yumas inside of a week, as well as a small acan colony. I have two other acan colonies that were in the near vicinity of the now-dead one, one looks fine, the other looks stressed. The frogspawn was relatively close to a small colony of hammer corals (not close enough to be stung, that's not it), and the hammer corals have never looked better. I am so lost on this one, I don't even know where to go next. All of my fish are perfectly fine and accounted for.

When things started to look ****ty, which sort of came on suddenly, I dropped a couple of polyfilters into the sump and they didn't seem to do anything but turn brown, indicating nitrate absorption (which I expected).

My inverts are fine, have a tiger cuc, fire shrimp and skunk cleaner (as well as the regular lineup of snails and hermits) that all seem to be their normal selves. I run GFO, carbon, and a couple of purigen bags in the sump.

Any thoughts on what I should try next?

Thanks for replying, and I'd absolutely agree with you if it wasn't for the other mix/match of corals that all showed negative effects at around the same time. The trouble is, none of those things apply, either! The tank is definitely not too clean, as nitrates are still running rampant, and I haven't done anything with the lights and flow. About to sneak up on the tank with a flash light and see if there is anything I'm missing during the day...

Sorry this doesn't help you explain what's going on. But, anytime I have something unexplainable get out of whack, I do a series of water changes in secession. I do three or four of them in as many days and it always straightens out whatever unexplainable issue it may have been. If it's predatory then obviously that won't make a difference.

It looks like a few of my sympodium polyps are being eaten by pods, but they haven't been opening up well the last few days either. I'm not sure which came first, the stress preventing them from opening or the pods eating them. Maybe a gallon of bleach will solve it for me... 😛

Back