What kind of Rock is this

DiefsReef

Supporting
Reaction score
I got this rock when I bought a used setup from someone getting out of the hobby.
I'm new to the hobby and don't know all the diff rocks yet.
I think some of this is real coral/rock but not sure.

Any thoughts?

1595264727627.png

If you have some rock already, lift a few pieces up and see how they compare to the pieces in the picture. @Dmitri is correct about the middle piece but the best way to tell if something is pukani is by putting your hands on it. It's surprisingly light (porous) and the difference is unmistakable.

They all look to be of coral origin.

You can drip some plain white vinegar on it to see. If it bubbles up vigorously, it’s very likely calcium carbonate.

You may want to bleach some or all of those pieces, to kill anything bad & destroy organic compounds left behind. Then treat it in fresh water with a good dechlorinator, maybe a couple of times.

Then soak in 5% citric acid to remove phosphate deposited on it. Then rinse 2-3 x’s in fresh water & a final time in DI water.

They all look to be of coral origin.

You can drip some plain white vinegar on it to see. If it bubbles up vigorously, it’s very likely calcium carbonate.

You may want to bleach some or all of those pieces, to kill anything bad & destroy organic compounds left behind. Then treat it in fresh water with a good dechlorinator, maybe a couple of times.

Then soak in 5% citric acid to remove phosphate deposited on it. Then rinse 2-3 x’s in fresh water & a final time in DI water.
Yes its all been soaked in citric acid and been sitting for a week now in clean rodi.

Thx all for the responses!

Center ones look like Pukani, as does the larger one on the left.

small one in the top left: looks most like Bali, but most likely regular external pukani.

bottom right and bottom left: I’ve seen these before but I’m not certain. Super cool though!

Center ones look like Pukani, as does the larger one on the left.

small one in the top left: looks most like Bali, but most likely regular external pukani.

bottom right and bottom left: I’ve seen these before but I’m not certain. Super cool though!
Thx ActiveAngel! I really like the bottom right and left myself. The Pukani is cool but those 2 pieces have alot of character.

If you have some rock already, lift a few pieces up and see how they compare to the pieces in the picture. @Dmitri is correct about the middle piece but the best way to tell if something is pukani is by putting your hands on it. It's surprisingly light (porous) and the difference is unmistakable.
I can tell for sure the middle and top left are very light compared to the rest and very brittle.

Thx for all the responses!

Back