What LED lights are you all using?

wildernets

Market
Reaction score
Looking to set up a new tank. Well, increasing the size of a 14 biocube. The 14 has a steve's LED kit that I built in and that is what I have been using with a controller. Going with a different look this time and will just have the fixture hang and open top. The new tank will be around a 30 cube in size. What LED fixtures are you guys buying now?

I use two of the Reef Radiance Starfires over my frag tank. They happen to be on sale right now for $119.

close-outs.html

I built a setup from LED Group buy. I bought the heatsink from there but got my Cree Lumias from a different vendor. Then went with a Bluefish controller. I love it!

Have it narrowed down to either an AI Hydra52 HD or Radion xr30w G4 Pro. Cannot figure out if the Radion is worth the extra $200. Also wondering if I would be better served getting 2 of either of the smaller versions for spread. Would be 2 Hydra26 or 2 XR15w G4 PRO. Ugh.

Has anyone seen them both? It is just a 30 x 30 cube so I doubt I'll use full intensity on any of them. Not planning to put a controller on the tank so the light needs to have its own intelligence.

jbadd99;1118206 wrote: I built a setup from LED Group buy. I bought the heatsink from there but got my Cree Lumias from a different vendor. Then went with a Bluefish controller. I love it!
Did you get the idea from my build by chance? Very much looking forward to using mine on a real tank :). Good to hear you like it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

wildernet;1118775 wrote: Have it narrowed down to either an AI Hydra52 HD or Radion xr30w G4 Pro. Cannot figure out if the Radion is worth the extra $200. Also wondering if I would be better served getting 2 of either of the smaller versions for spread. Would be 2 Hydra26 or 2 XR15w G4 PRO. Ugh.

Has anyone seen them both? It is just a 30 x 30 cube so I doubt I'll use full intensity on any of them. Not planning to put a controller on the tank so the light needs to have its own intelligence.

Using one on a 40 cube & all is well.

Ecotech has impressive CS, if you call them they would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Honestly can't say enough good about Radion & Vortech MOF.
Their program is really nice with or wirhout an Apex

Only experience with LED has been Radion and Kessil. However, I've had nothing but a positive experience with the Radion, its over 5 years old! Kessil used less than a year, also impressive!
BTW

Used the Kessil Tuna Blue for less than a year off & on as back-up and no longer need it. Will sell it for 1/2 of retail cost.

Torqued;1118860 wrote: Did you get the idea from my build by chance? Very much looking forward to using mine on a real tank :). Good to hear you like it

I already had been looking at the Lumias, but your build sealed the deal.

I went with some knock offs out of Australia, which were much cheaper, but retained the same spectrum. I also used HLG power supplies, which are an enclosed unit and down have the high pitch whine - they're also designed for damp applications.

If I had to do it over again I would have added an additional two channels and arranged them in a zig zag configuration. The bonus side to using the Makers heatsink is that's still an option. The Bluefish mini and app leave some things to be desired, but overall not a bad setup.

I use Reefbreeders Nova A 4 over my 60 gallon cube. Used it for 4 years and it does a great job.

I have G4 Radion's with T5 supplementation. I'm happy with it.

I am using a used Reefbreeders Photon 32, V1. Not having used LED or a large tank before, I do not really have a great gauge, but the coral that moved from my biocube that used CF's is doing a lot better under the Reefbreeder in a 90 gallon tall bowfront tank.

Back