what light should i get for a solana

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
i want to get a solana but im not to into the disco ball look that comes with the hqi 150 so i have been debating on the sunpod 250 or a lumamx pendant with a radium 400watt i want all le sps corals and a few fish maybe my nem not sure yet

I would think the sunpod would be plenty of light for anything you want to keep

a LM with a 400 will cook your water. The 250 is plenty by far.

I agree. 400 watts would be overkill. I'd go for the Lumenmax w/ either an Iwasaki 175w or a nice 250w.

But that DISCO BALL would so be you :party:

ive got the disco ball and the sunpod 150. both with the same bulbs. and the disco puts off a nicer light then my sunpod. i went with the disco ball because everything in my house is decorated a more modern look.if i keep my solana in the place it is at, im going to have to get a chiller.the 250 sunpod would def get the lights going but sure will heat it up. the sunpod 150 is on my 30 cube. i do like have the moon light on the sunpod.i did vote on the sunpod 250 but be prepared for a chiller.

Yes, open top. Unlike Mark, I have zero heat issues so far. Mine doesnt receive any direct and very low ambient sunlight. I believe Mark's is near a window? I have the 150W disco ball and it is working great. It actually packs a nice punch, and I am keeping a maxima on the bottom with no issues.

I think even a 250w is a little overkill. I have talked to 2 people that have used 150W's successfully on tanks about the same depth (20-24"). Darren is one of them. With a good bulb, they were getting excellent growth of everything. I think with the 150W you will have lest heat issues, and you'll be able to keep everything you want.

corvettecris;174945 wrote: Yes, open top. Unlike Mark, I have zero heat issues so far. Mine doesnt receive any direct and very low ambient sunlight. I believe Mark's is near a window? I have the 150W disco ball and it is working great. It actually packs a nice punch, and I am keeping a maxima on the bottom with no issues.

I think even a 250w is a little overkill. I have talked to 2 people that have used 150W's successfully on tanks about the same depth (20-24"). Darren is one of them. With a good bulb, they were getting excellent growth of everything. I think with the 150W you will have lest heat issues, and you'll be able to keep everything you want.

mine doesnt get direct sun but is next to my front window in a corner. my 30 gallon cube w/sump ,and sunpod 150 gets no hotter then 78-79 . not sure what im going to do. im think im ordering a chiller this weekend.going to make a shelf in the room below to hold the chiller to get it out of the living room.and keep the noise down. if i keep the tank im def upgrading the skimmer.

i think i want the glass top just because i love wrasses and dont want them jumping out thats why i want the higher light .... might need that chiller though but im ok with that

Put a 14k Phoenix Bulb over it if you like the blue look and want your corals to fluoresce. 250 watts would be more than enough, 400 watts get ready to top of with a bunch of fresh RO! We just became ARC Sponsors!

Creation Reef & Aquatics;175111 wrote: Put a 14k Phoenix Bulb over it if you like the blue look and want your corals to fluoresce. 250 watts would be more than enough, 400 watts get ready to top of with a bunch of fresh RO! We just became ARC Sponsors!

2nd that. I'm gonna try a Ushio 20k from Tim after seeing some pics of a friends tank, but I have seen the phoenix too, and very nice.

Back