What lights other then MH work best for lighting deep tank

sharis100

Supporting
Reaction score
30 inch deep tank
What lights work well for par in sand bed?
Will AI or reefbrites work?
Thanks 😊

You can adjust the spread on certain LEDs with lens kits to narrow the beam and make them more like spotlights. Need more to cover a given surface area but you'll increase the depth of the light penetration in the tank.

Here's an example:

Our tank is 24" deep for reference but we get decent light intensity at the bottom with the 4 AI Hydra 26's spaced out evenly across the 60" tank and 2 Orphek 150cm Blue Plus light bars, one on either side surrounding the Hydras. Still have room to add 3-4 more Hydras in between the existing 4 if desired.

At 30" most lights will work fine. When you get into 36"+ is when you need to look into the number of LED's & the type lenses.

Water height will be 28~29", 1" sand bed cuts more out too.

I like this depth because it allows you to have plenty of par/pur from the top to 2/3rds down for SPS and the bottom 1/3rd can be softies and lower light LPS. And you can do that without having to max the power out on the light.

At 30" most lights will work fine. When you get into 36"+ is when you need to look into the number of LED's & the type lenses.

Water height will be 28~29", 1" sand bed cuts more out too.

I like this depth because it allows you to have plenty of par/pur from the top to 2/3rds down for SPS and the bottom 1/3rd can be softies and lower light LPS. And you can do that without having to max the power out on the light.
So, you think AI lights are fine?

So, you think AI lights are fine?
I'm not a fan of that particular brand, I know they're from Ecotech and all, but AI's cost more for what you get than just about all brands out there, even Radions. I'd go with Reef Breeders and/or Reef Brite strips.

I had 3 standard SB black boxes on my 220 with 4 T5 bulbs. The T5's were only on 4.5hrs a day, I had no problem growing anything.

On my new system I'm planning on 4 48" Photon's and 4-6 Reef Brite or Orphek strips. The tank is 29" tall and the running water level with no sand is 26.5". Once I add sand the depth will drop another inch.

I
I'm not a fan of that particular brand, I know they're from Ecotech and all, but AI's cost more for what you get than just about all brands out there, even Radions. I'd go with Reef Breeders and/or Reef Brite strips.

I had 3 standard SB black boxes on my 220 with 4 T5 bulbs. The T5's were only on 4.5hrs a day, I had no problem growing anything.

On my new system I'm planning on 4 48" Photon's and 4-6 Reef Brite or Orphek strips. The tank is 29" tall and the running water level with no sand is 26.5". Once I add sand the depth will drop another inch.
I have reef brite XHOs 4 strips already. So those would work?

This is part of a spreadsheet I was working on comparing the prices of different products. I'll only put the two up.
Ecotech bought AI and turned it into a profit center. They probably make more make more GP on Hydra's than they do on Radion's.
If I only needed one I'd buy the Radion.

Capture8.PNG

Back