What model powerheads for a wavemaker?

weaglereefer

Market
Reaction score
Ok, so my Reefkeeper Lite is set up and running great. Now I want to start using some of the other features it includes, one of which is a wavemaker. I currently have 2 Hydor Koralia 3 pumps in my 75. I will be picking up a 90 tomorrow and everything will be transferred, so I'm thinking I want something in the 1200GPH to 1800GPH range for each powerhead. I'm not planning to step up to the Vortech MP40's yet, maybe around Christmas, so powerheads in the $50-$100 range are preferred. The tank is a mixed reef with softies, zoas, and ric's on the bottom, LPS in the middle, and SPS near the top.

What is the best pump for this setup in the price range given the tank size and my requirements?

Note: I'm not opposed to having 3 powerheads with only 2 on the wavemaker while one runs constantly, in that case, I could leave one of the Koralias in there.

I know MJ's will run on a wavemaker-maybe you could do the 'mod' and get some serious flow in there for cheaper than a MP40-- (less than 1/4 each compared to MP's). I don't know, however, if the mod would work with the wavemaker, but I know a standard MJ will work on a wavemaker-

Yeah, I read the MJ-mods won't work on wavemakers. I'm currently looking at Tunze's.

FWIW I'd prob. scratch the idea of spending $100 each on two and instead throw another $100 w/ it and get a MP40

Haha, where can I get one for $300? Last I heard when they were being sold for $340 Vortech said no...

Maybe I need to start scraping pennies...wish I had graduated this semester, then I'd have plenty of money, lol.

Yeah, I was looking at those, but seeing as they're new on the market, I'm not in the mood to be a guinea pig and have one burn up on the wavemaker.

I have a modded MJ1200 running on a RK2. It is noisy when it starts up, but I have had no problems with it otherwise.

Back