What RODI System

Deucenbc

Reaction score
My LFS can only get 4 stage systems from their vendors. I need at least a 5 stage and maybe a 6 stage because our cities water is garbage. What system does everyone recommend. I currently run a 55G FW 65G AC 19G Planted 10G FW and about to start 2 20G Reef. I water change once a week

My LFS (Augusta) uses 5 stage and tells me that my town (Grovetown) needs at least a 5 stage because of the water quality. I guess I am more asking what brand people recommend not the number of stages. BRS/MD are 2 examples I am looking at.

I have both brands. In terms of the housing/hardware, there’s not much difference between the canisters. They may even come from the same manufacturer.

In terms of the ro filter, it’s made by GE or some other manufacturer with a specific standard.

In terms of di resin, I believe BRS May have an upper hand when it comes to who they choose as the supplier and then relabel it so it’s sold under BRS.

If you know what your dealing with in the source water you can setup the system to handle it correctly. Chlorine, chloramine, silicates, phosphates... what's in the water, what's the tds out of the tap? That will decide how you set the stages up.

The second part is the pressure at the installation point. If you're under 60psi the membrane is less effective and it gets worse the lower it goes. 60 at the source means 45-50 after the prestages... then a booster pump is recommended.

i am guessing I should be able to go to the city and ask them for a water report so i can see what is in the city water? Does this sound right?

They're almost always available online. You could check your city's water bill and it'll have a website. Where I live, it's a county thing. I just googled "Grovetown Water Report" and found it. Based on my initial read, it looks like there are no chloramines. Those things are a bugger to get rid of so that's a good thing. A standard carbon block should get you all cleaned up and ready to run through the RO membrane.

EDIT: Here's something I learned that might be helpful. Water reports don't usually list chloramines. It would make is easier on us reefers if they did. However, if there's a line item for "Chlorine" and another line item for "Total Chlorine", the difference is the chloramines. For example, Dekalb County lists "Chlorine, Free" as 1.61 and "Total Chlorine" as 1.72. The chlorine is "free" and chloramines are chlorine bonded with another element (typically ammonia). In Dekalb County there is 1.61 ppm chlorine (free) and 0.11 chlorine bonded with ammonia to give a "Total" chlorine level of 1.72 ppm.

In the old days, you could let water sit for 24 hours and the chlorine would be released from the water. However, chlormaines can last for quite a while longer. That's why they've been added to more and more water supplies to fight microbes. Both chlorine and chloramines can reduce the life of an RO membrane so it's important to get them both out before your water is sent to the membrane.

Last edited:
Back