What sump and skimmer would you get for a 65G?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I have a relatively new RR 65G mixed reef up and running and I'm trying to decide what to do about a sump and skimmer. Right now I have a Rubbermaid tub for a sump and a DAS EX-1 skimmer sitting beside it. I bought a 29G tank to use as a sump but have not ordered the baffles for it yet. Even though I could run the EX-1 submerged I don't really want to since it has such a large footprint. I'm also too chicken to have it just sitting on the hardwood floor so it is sitting next to the tank in another Rubbermaid tub that would handle all the water from the sump if it started to leak or overflow.

As I'm sitting here looking at it I was thinking how much cleaner it would look if I just bought a sump and skimmer combination that would all fit under the tank. The space I have to work with is 28"L x 16"W x 32"H. Anyone have any thoughts on what you would do under the circumstances? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

There will be no SPSs, just softies and maybe LPSs for corals, and only a few fish including a fuzzy dwarf lionfish that is currently in QT.

if you want one ready made, I would go to marine depot, dr. F&S, and melev. Or you could just get a 30 gallon or so, add baffles with weldon, and make your own. There are so many skimmers out there now, but bubbleking, ASM g-2, and all the sponsors that we have.

I think the DAS ex1 is sufficient for the 65 gallon. You can't beat that skimmer in comparable sizes.

mysterybox;225115 wrote: if you want one ready made, I would go to marine depot, dr. F&S, and melev. Or you could just get a 30 gallon or so, add baffles with weldon, and make your own. There are so many skimmers out there now, but bubbleking, ASM g-2, and all the sponsors that we have.

Thanks, Ralph. I have a 29G tank to make one out of and have done so before and the Das Ex-1 skimmer, but I was thinking it would be easier if I just bought a ready made sump and a decent in sump skimmer.

I'm hoping to get some replies from others that have already bought and have experience with a ready made set up that works well.

purpleGORILLA;225140 wrote: I think the DAS ex1 is sufficient for the 65 gallon. You can't beat that skimmer in comparable sizes.

I'm sure the ex-1 is plenty but I dont want to try to fit it in a sump. I'm looking for something with a smaller footprint. Right now I'm looking at the Octopus NW 150, Octopus Extreme 160 and the MRC Ocean Force 100.

Use the 29g sump and put in a octopus extreme 160. It has such a small footprint and it skims reallly well. You won't be dissapointed with it.

this skimmer should work

SKimmer025-1.jpg
alt="" />

FutureInterest;225184 wrote: Use the 29g sump and put in a octopus extreme 160. It has such a small footprint and it skims reallly well. You won't be dissapointed with it.

Thanks Jin, that's the direction I'm leaning.

Back