What T-5s have been used successful over a 265g tank?

raz0945

Supporting
Reaction score
We are moving in November and I will finally be able to get my 265g up! :yes: Hals going to let me have the big room in the basement. I have a 84" x 24" x 31" to cover with lights, about 5" sand bed and this will be an acro tank with a few chalices. I would rather not go LED's and the heat from my 125g with MH is more then enought for one room. I would appreciate any info on brands and best coverage! Thanks, Holley

Holley

Stay with halides... My basement stays plenty cool... I actually have to run a 1000 watts of heaters even with multiple 400 watt halides... just to keep the temp up.

Just my $.02, stay with what works. and obviously it works well for you guys...

Ps I am going to hit you up later today. I want to try and swing by later this week to try and get what we discussed... if still available.

Holley, I've used an eight bulb TEK light over my 210 with good results. I'm no longer using it since I took down the 210 and it has brand new bulbs. Lmk if you are interested in it and Im sure we could work out a good deal. Bob

if you are going T5 then most everyone is chasing ATI. The powermodules are incredible, and the sunpowers are VERY good also.

The problem with T5's on your tank is that it's a 7ft tank and the longest T5 bulbs are 5ft. You could run 5ft retro kit T5's and stagger them to avoid shadows or you could run twice as many bulbs using 36" tubes; but that will be costly especially when it comes time to replace all those.

If it were me and I definitely wanted a T5 setup I would look at an ATI sunpower 8 bulb setup that uses 5ft 80w bulbs and then toss up a cheap ebay LED box on each end to fill where the T5's don't completely cover.

Nick I'm still holding them for you.:)

nickg;1054842 wrote: Holley

Stay with halides... My basement stays plenty cool... I actually have to run a 1000 watts of heaters even with multiple 400 watt halides... just to keep the temp up.

Just my $.02, stay with what works. and obviously it works well for you guys...

Ps I am going to hit you up later today. I want to try and swing by later this week to try and get what we discussed... if still available.

Bob how long are the Tek t-5s? Thanks:)

bobz;1054846 wrote: Holley, I've used an eight bulb TEK light over my 210 with good results. I'm no longer using it since I took down the 210 and it has brand new bulbs. Lmk if you are interested in it and Im sure we could work out a good deal. Bob

David I love the color I get with the t-5s but thd cost is really hard on the budget (I buy about 40 bulbs a year, I hunt for sales and buy thru out the year) I pay for bulbs, salt & misc and Hal pays for water and electricity, the elec is getting higher, so I need to stay as energy efficient as possible. I would go with LEDs but haven't been able to get my acros to do as well.:D

DavidinGA;1054852 wrote: The problem with T5's on your tank is that it's a 7ft tank and the longest T5 bulbs are 5ft. You could run 5ft retro kit T5's and stagger them to avoid shadows or you could run twice as many bulbs using 36" tubes; but that will be costly especially when it comes time to replace all those.

If it were me and I definitely wanted a T5 setup I would look at an ATI sunpower 8 bulb setup that uses 5ft 80w bulbs and then toss up a cheap ebay LED box on each end to fill where the T5's don't completely cover.

Raz0945;1054870 wrote: David I love the color I get with the t-5s but thd cost is really hard on the budget (I buy about 40 bulbs a year, I hunt for sales and buy thru out the year) I pay for bulbs, salt & misc and Hal pays for water and electricity, the elec is getting higher, so I need to stay as energy efficient as possible. I would go with LEDs but haven't been able to get my acros to do as well.:D
Right.

I was saying that my recommendation would be to buy an ATI 8 bulb Sunpower running 5ft 80w bulbs and then use two eBay led boxes (one on each end) to fill where the T5's don't quite cover it all.

Raz0945;1054869 wrote: Bob how long are the Tek t-5s? Thanks:)

It is 60" T5. Agree with earlier posts would be short on the 240 but I had it raised above the 72" 210 and had good coverage. Bob

Why not cheaper 24" T5 units on the ends perpendicular to the main unit. Then it would be all t5.

Back