what t5 config. do you use?

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
for all those people with t5 set ups what is your bulb config.im in the process to figure out what i would like and would appreciate the input ...especially from those who are over dirving them .....please state how many rows and how bulbs are set from fron to back
thank you
victor

I'll be watching this thread with interest Victor. I'm moving to a six row T5 setup shortly...like next week ('politically' gotta wait until after christmas to order 'em!). I've read Grim Reefer's T5 thread on RC cover to cover and have some ideas, but I'm interested in others opinions/experience.

I'll be using 5ft T5's so I'm somewhat limited in bulb selection, but I'll be driving them with two existing IC 660 ballasts. I may be able to squeeze in a 7th shorter bulb (bowfront tank).

bellow are the diagrams as how they were and it was to yellow ,how they are now temp.and how they are going to be suggested by grim reefer on rc ...all other suggestions are welcomed .all pics are in order
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
112665=6896-now.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
112665=6896-now.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="now.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
112665=6897-suggested.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
112665=6897-suggested.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="suggested.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
112665=6895-then.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
112665=6895-then.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="then.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

im over driving the 4 in the middle the others are on a work horse 5 those turn on first for two hours and then stay on two hours after the others turn off i got some playing around to do for now to see what color pattern i like i asked you for yourrs cause of the growth you get and because your tank is amazing almost unreal thumbs up to you david

ok were are all your guys at didnt you have a t5 pimp crew im curious as to see what everyone is using

ok im liking this config alot it is almost like big ds but i have one more actinic plus to wash out the yellow in my 6000k bulb
113234=6936-config i like for now.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
113234=6936-config i like for now.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="config i like for now.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

oh yeah all these are giesman bulbs except the one in fron it is an old ati i have to waite to get a new bulb on wed

Wow what nice diagrams!

One odd thing that I found was that the GE 6500k bulb I had produced less par than the ATI Blue plus specials. I got more par from the ATIs than the UV lighting 14k and 12k as well. The bottom of the ladder was the current 10ks that came with my setup... This was all before I started overdriving with a 660 though. Some bulbs are better at being overdriven than others it seems...

Keep in mind that the UV Lighting bulbs are more pink/purple than blue for some reason. The higher the k rating the more pink/purple they seem to get. It balances well with the blue from the actinic and the ATIs, but alone the pink is a lil overpowering.

Many people also use a 3k bulb to bring out the reds. I don't use one personally, but I've seen a few tanks with them and the reds are somewhat brighter.

Currently I am running from front to back:

1 Geismann actinic
1 ATI Blue plus
1 ATI Blue plus special
1 UV Lighting 12k
1 UV Lighting 14k

The coloration is exactly where I want it, which is white with a hint of purple and blue. The last four bulbs are overdriven. Due to active cooling, all the bulbs are cool enough to be touched even when they've been on all day. Keeping your t5s cool is important, especially if you are going to overdrive them.

yeah i use two fans at the end of the bulbs to keep them cool ...i need to head over to your place one of these days to take a look at your tank

i found a color pattern i like so here it gose
114537=7014-config i like for now 1 1.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
114537=7014-config i like for now 1 1.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="config i like for now 1 1.bmp_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I think I am leaning towards this config:

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
Blue Plus

I am new to T5s so any input would be appreciated

i saw you just talked to grim on rc i would go with his suggestion i went with it and it worked for me i would probably go with his first recomendation but i had these bulbs already but im happy

thanks victor. do you have current pics of your tank since you put the T5s on?

Back