What testing do you do and how often?

thbrewst

Market
Reaction score
I just wanted to get a sense of what water tests folks run and how often you do them. Do you test for;

Alkalinity
Magnesium
Calcium
Phosphate
pH
Nitrate
Ammonia
Nitrite
Hardness
Iodine
Strontium
Copper
Others?

Salinity every 3 weeks when I do a water change.

pH is measured with probes in ca reactor and display

Other than that, Nothing unless there is a problem or something looks off (corals don't open, or look "off", etc).

A few months ago I had issues with my CA reactor, so I was testing CA/ALK daily. Other than that, only as required which is maybe 2-3x per year.

JeF4y;604196 wrote: Salinity every 3 weeks when I do a water change.

Other than that, Nothing unless there is a problem or something looks off (corals don't open, or look "off", etc).

A few months ago I had issues with my CA reactor, so I was testing CA/ALK daily. Other than that, only as required which is maybe 2-3x per year.

WOW! I test everything every 2 weeks before my WC. I guess I can cut back then, test kits are getting pricey!! :yuk:

the more stable the aquarium, the less I test.
when I seem to be having an issue with a parem, I test more often.

Alkalinity <span style="color: red">once a quarter or more</span>
Magnesium <span style="color: red">twice a year</span>
Calcium <span style="color: #ff0000">once a quarter</span>
Phosphate <span style="color: #ff0000">twice a year</span>
pH <span style="color: #ff0000">twice a year</span>
Nitrate <span style="color: #ff0000">once a quarter</span>
Ammonia
Nitrite
Hardness
Iodine
Strontium
Copper
Others?
Salinity (calibrated to pinpoint solution) <span style="color: red">once a month</span>

My tank is very consistent and when something gets off it's quickly noticed. Your tank may be different, but if your test results are the same week after week, and you're not adding anything, why bother?

JeF4y;604208 wrote: My tank is very consistent and when something gets off it's quickly noticed. Your tank may be different, but if your test results are the same week after week, and you're not adding anything, why bother?

Thats true, I do get the same results every time I test. I'll have to cut back now, I'm wasting too much money on buying test kits.

Salinity every 2 weeks when I do a water change.

CA/ALK/MG about once or twice a month pending on how much im messing with dosing or additional equipment that affects these.

gmpolan;604216 wrote:

CA/ALK/MG about once or twice a month pending on how much im messing with dosing or additional equipment that affects these.

salinity and nitrate and what he said

SG @ water changes, CA, ALK pretty regularly (probably every 2 weeks) since I dose manually. Mag is probably every couple of months, because I've learned by testing more often that it drops really slowly in my tank.

pH, phosphate, nitrate etc are done every 3 months (I keep a log of ALL params that often)... and when something seems "off".

Never tested for iodine, strontium, copper etc. I don't dose any of that stuff in my tank, it is just whatever trace amounts are replenished at water change time.

I have to admit that I am TERRIBLE about testing.

I test SG when I do water changes... and monitor Temp constantly.

I know (actually from a series of tests a while back) that I need about 2 squirts of alk to keep alk where it needs to be.

My kalk reactor does great at keeping CA up where it needs to be (the few times I've tested it).

The only time I really test much of anything on a regular basis is if I'm adding new equipment or live stock that can really affect my parameters.

Should I test more?

Probably.

B

Another opportunity for me to get hammered :thumbs:

I don't change much water (hardly at all actually), with the exception of my nano 12

The ONLY things I check for are calcium, mag and dhk. Do so about every two or three months (when I''m bored squatless).

low bio loads and common sense come first, the rest is a waste of time (in my humble opinion):D

Sorry, I spoke too soon. I do the refractometer every couple of weeks or so. But I really didn't consider this a test....

jg

Back