What the heck are these bubbles?

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
Clear bubbles near some brown algae just started showing up. Looks like the same bubbles I had during my cycle in the beginning.

5e7cb099ad2807eebf606abe2e99730d.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, they sometimes float to the top of the water if something comes near them or rustles them.

I'll double check my parameters, you know what you could be right. I added about 15lbs of live rock recently.

I recently went through something very similar. During a water change I stirred my sand with the hose refilling my tank with new salt water. Needless to say a brown hair algae covered the Rock and I have almost zero clean up crew. I ordered a cleanup crew and it should be here tomorrow.

Not reddish at all brown. I'm think now it's Dino's

So i'm now wondering what caused these and how to battle them. I added a GFO and Carbon reactor and whats weird is that it seems to have come right about the same time. PO4 has dropped drastically since adding the reactor.

bkostuch;1051658 wrote: So i'm now wondering what caused these and how to battle them. I added a GFO and Carbon reactor and whats weird is that it seems to have come right about the same time. PO4 has dropped drastically since adding the reactor.

I didn't have a problem with dinos until I started running a GFO and Carbon reactor. After 3 years of otherwise problem free reefing, I've decided to scrap the Carbon and only run with Phosban or some other PO4 reduction method.

Coincidental? Maybe, but I've been reading some stories lately that are linking carbon usage to problems within tanks and I can't help but wonder...

Yeah I pulled a single rock out scrubbed it and will see how that looks tomorrow.

I believe your going through a normal cycle on those rock and the bubbles are gas bubbles caused by the bacteria on the rock, I've been down that road before.
I dropped a small pump with a plastic tube connected to it in the tank an use it to blow off all the rock with the slim on it an allow it to go down to the sump and collect in a sock, I had to do this a few times till it was all gone.

Looks like cyano to me, and the bubbles are just air bubbles resulting from it.

Scrub it off, tweak the flow to prevent the cyano from settling. If there was a lot of flow there, those bubbles would dislodge and not get 'stuck' in the cyano.

Nitrate that is processed into nitrogen gasses off that way too - the bubbles just aren't seen because they aren't caught on anything.

Jenn

Thanks all, looks like my Mexican turbo got a hold of some of the rock and is cleaning like crazy. I altered my flow as well. The single rock I pulled out and scrubbed has no bubbles returning. I think my CUC is lacking as well so I'll grab more for the substrate.

looks like dinos to me.

brown snotty bubbly balls of yum. you can see if they are by filling a tupperware container halfway with tank water, put a lid on it and let it float. if the lower part grows strings or brown stuff attaches. it is most assuredly dinos. only takes an hour to 90 minutes before you see them attach.

if not. probably cyano of some sort.

Back