What the heck is it? Friend or foe?

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
I was looking in the tank last night with a flashlight and found these little purple critters. I plucked 4 or 5 from the tank. I only saw maybe 1 or 2 more but that's just where I could see them. What the heck are they? They vary in length but are all the same color. I found them more on one end of the tank than the other. Are they friend or foe?

Are they flatworms? I'm not familiar w them, so I'd take them out just in case for now

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

SnowManSnow;1063542 wrote: Are they flatworms? I'm not familiar w them, so I'd take them out just in case for now

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

No idea. That's why I'm asking. I've never seen them before and haven't introduced anything new in quite some time.

Really hard to tell in that picture... maybe Purple Nudibranchs / Sea Slugs? Is it soft bodied or does it have a harder "shell"?

Can you get a closer and more clear picture for us?

It's a Chiton. Reef Safe. Should be no issues keeping them in there. Pretty decent tank cleaners as well. Mostly only seen at night time. Many people have them in their reefs and not realize it.

Yep Jakub beat us to it.

I've seen Chitons but never have seen pretty ones like that. Usually they are tan/brown-ish, kind of like Stomatella snails. Nice find :)

Do you think that's their colour or are they covered in coralline?

Jenn

Chitons, indeed... and some of the best rock cleaners out there. Neat find, Jeff!

Jenn - there are a few that are spectacularly colored. I had one that was deep, deep red a year or two ago. These look like they're just that bright purple color as it's uniform versus coraline's splotchy crustiness.

JennM;1063936 wrote: Yep Jakub beat us to it.

I've seen Chitons but never have seen pretty ones like that. Usually they are tan/brown-ish, kind of like Stomatella snails. Nice find :)

Do you think that's their colour or are they covered in coralline?

Jenn

I'm pretty sure it's their color as all of the ones I found were pretty uniform.

Back