What the heck is this???

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
Okay so I came back from vacation and everything in the tank (livestock) was normal. Lost a Xenia a week or so ago but this popped up today. What the heck is it? Barely attached to a rock.

ef0774a72874b418116516a47317637e.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It almost looks like a nudibranch but with Xenia coming out of it. And it is moving.

Yup, just found this. Pretty cool but not sure I want it...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/xenia-mimicing-nudibranchs">http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/xenia-mimicing-nudibranchs</a>

Yep, that is a nudibranch.

Get it out of there. Chances are it feeds on the Xenia because that's what it most resembles. They are masters of disguise and usually blend right in to whatever it is they feed on.

Jenn

Thanks, yeah I pulled him out and stuck him in my sump.

I'd kill it. You do not want it reproducing (I realize it take 2 but some stuff reproduces by fission).

Better safe than sorry.

Jenn

Starting to think it was a Nudibranch that wiped out my zoa garden. I recall seeing something going through some of my radioactive dragon eye zoas and I was surprised that this critter matched the zoas color. Wish I would have known that back then lol.

Yep, and those suckers reproduce like rabbits. Brian had literally thousands of zoas and they became infested and he lost most of them. They were growing up the back of the tank. He was able to dip the ones on rocks but enough of them hid well in the ones on the back of the tank, so they just kept coming back. He ended up tearing down the tank, and that was a major bummer.

I've seen the leather eating kind take down huge Sarcophytons too - they gnaw their way inside the column and eat it from the inside out, and it goes undetected until the cap collapses. Sometimes it can be saved by lopping off the cap, but it takes time to regrow the column, so it kind of ruins the appearance of what was a huge specimen.

Jenn

It's part of the local sewage and water authority as of last night.

Back