what to buy for my build ?

karl

Market
Reaction score
I have chosen a tank <span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Perfecto 220gal tank black 72x24x30 . now i need suggestions on what equiptment to buy for it. i know nothing so what do i buy? lights, filters, skimmers, chilers, etc... this is going to be a reef tank with corals and i want to build it right. </span></span>

ares;373340 wrote:
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29016">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29016</a>
.[/QUOTE]

Learn from the best...

AugustaSalty;373313 wrote: Skimmers, personally, i don't believe in skimmers.

Was this before or after you stood me up on that skimmer I was going to sell to you?

AugustaSalty;373313 wrote: hey, I sent the following in a private message to Karl, but it was a ton of information so i wanted everyone to be able to read it. Enjoy, i hope its helpful.

Congrats, thats going to be an awesome tank.

For filtration I would build my own if I were you. Its not hard to do, and there are plenty of people on this forum that can help you. I have never owned a store bought sump, I have built all of mine. It is not difficult. I have seen other people post drawings of their plans and ARC members praised and prodded them and made them into great plans.

Skimmers, personally, i don't believe in skimmers. They work, but I believe there are better ways to go. If you decided to use a skimmer, go with one rated a little larger than your total water volume. If you have a 230 gallon tank, and a 70 gallon sump, get a skimmer rated for 300 gallons etc.

Lights? Thats totally up to you. How ambitious are you? what kind of corals do you want? whats your budget? Again, I'd build my own light setup using retrofit kits, These are available in many wattages. You can mix and match Power compacts, t5s, t12s, and metal halides. My preference is a mix of halides and t5s. Again that is my preference. People that have switched from a mixed system to just t5s have usually been a little dissappointed. However, if you just want softies, lps, and some sps, t5s will be fine. Some people mix halides and t12s because they believe the t12s give better color. I dont know, i've never used t12s. They are a tried and true method though.

Chiller? Depends on your lights. Depends on the total water volume. Depends on your house's ambient temperature.

Get a battery backup or APC for your main pump. That way if the power goes out your system can still run a minimum level for a while or until power comes back on.

Get Ground Fault Interupters installed in your wall sockets. They've saved my life (literally) more than once.

Get the tanks outlets wired for its own breakers on your circuit breaker. I had a friend that couldnt vacuum his living room because if the tank lights were on and he plugged it in the whole thing went out. You may want to get one breaker for your lighting and one for your filtration.

Thats all i can think of right now, but i'll let you know if i think of anything else. Feel free to ask me any questions. Thanks.

There's a lot of bad advice here, so let's go over a few things:

Sump-get the largest sump you can fit/afford. A commercially built sump will offer you the ease of simply purchasing it. It will also be correctly designed and built for best performance. You can build something yourself, but you'll have to decide what you are wanting to accomplish with the sump and which materials you are confident with working with. The easiest diy sump would be a rubbermaid container; not the prettiest, but it does work. If you've never worked with acrylic before, I wouldn't build a sump as your first project; it's just not worth the risk.

Skimmer-there isn't a better and more easy way of nutrient export than a good protein skimmer. The above advice of going skimmerless would only apply if you are planning on massive water changes, or you're planning on buying the crappiest skimmers on the market (some are just not worth wasting your money on). A good qaulity skimmer is worth it's weight in gold; it will make your tank more enjoyable as you'll have to do less work to keep the water clean.

Your life support system on the aquarium is going to be the single most important component; it is what keeps your fish and corals happy.

Books and test kits. Take your time and get some good books. Not only are they good reading, but they will really teach you a lot about the jounrney you are about to embark on. There's a TON of information out there and even more misinformation; good books will give you a solid foundation that will help you determine which info is what.

The number one thing to get right now is PATIENCE. Nothing good comes from rushing into things with this hobby. The number 2 thing to get is an ARC membership :D

AugustaSalty;373313 wrote:
Skimmers, personally, i don't believe in skimmers.

Saying "I don't believe in skimmers" literally means you don't think they exist. I'm sure that wasn't your meaning. :)

What it really says to any reader with any reading comprehension skills at all is "I don't believe they work" or "I don't believe they do what they are intended to do".

Considering the cups full of crap they remove from the water, I don't get where that statement comes from.

If you mean you think there are better ways to do the job, that would at least be a fair statement. Very few here would agree with it, but at least it isn't misleading.

EDIT:
Let me be fair here... after reading the first line I quoted, I was so frazzled I lost track of your post. I went back and read it again, and I see you clarified this.

I still think it's worth focusing on because many readers would do just what I did... see the first line and react.

Skriz;373495 wrote: There's a lot of bad advice here, so let's go over a few things:

Sump-get the largest sump you can fit/afford. A commercially built sump will offer you the ease of simply purchasing it. It will also be correctly designed and built for best performance. You can build something yourself, but you'll have to decide what you are wanting to accomplish with the sump and which materials you are confident with working with. The easiest diy sump would be a rubbermaid container; not the prettiest, but it does work. If you've never worked with acrylic before, I wouldn't build a sump as your first project; it's just not worth the risk.

Skimmer-there isn't a better and more easy way of nutrient export than a good protein skimmer. The above advice of going skimmerless would only apply if you are planning on massive water changes, or you're planning on buying the crappiest skimmers on the market (some are just not worth wasting your money on). A good qaulity skimmer is worth it's weight in gold; it will make your tank more enjoyable as you'll have to do less work to keep the water clean.

Your life support system on the aquarium is going to be the single most important component; it is what keeps your fish and corals happy.

Books and test kits. Take your time and get some good books. Not only are they good reading, but they will really teach you a lot about the jounrney you are about to embark on. There's a TON of information out there and even more misinformation; good books will give you a solid foundation that will help you determine which info is what.

The number one thing to get right now is PATIENCE. Nothing good comes from rushing into things with this hobby. The number 2 thing to get is an ARC membership :D

:up:

my order of reef gadgets:

1. skimmer/nutrient reduction (including other things)
2. Flow
3. Lighting
4. the rest

IMHO

Hmmm...my tank without a skimmer...well i would have no life other than doing water changes every 12hrs...Not to mention that gets expensive...plus skimmers up the oxygen...but then again who really needs oxygen b/c oxygen in life is auctually quite meaning less too right along with skimmers...

Get a very highly overrated skimmer if your system is 300 gallons i would say get one rated for 500gallons....get a monster sump with a large place for a refugium

karl;373308 wrote: I have chosen a tank <span style="font-family: Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px">Perfecto 220gal tank black 72x24x30 . now i need suggestions on what equipment to buy for it. i know nothing so what do i buy? lights, filters, skimmers, chillers, etc... this is going to be a reef tank with corals and i want to build it right. </span></span>
Lighting: MH with T-5 supplementation.
Filters: Very large fuge and plenty of liverock with flow!
Skimmer: The absolute best you can afford. Reeflo or MR4, you have a large tank.
Chillers: Get a combo heater/chiller. Although if put together properly you might only need a heater. Many may disagree but unless you have a lot of SPS your LPS and softies will thrive with 3-4 degree swings from day to night. SPS will do much better with 2 degree swing or less. Slightly higher temps will promote faster growth with less color, lower temps will produce tighter, denser and much more colorful new growth.

ares;373340 wrote: more than a few that will disagree with the above information I think...

skimmers, most feel they are the most important part of a reef short of maybe the lights. they are THE filtration for a reef tank besides water changes.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29016">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29016</a>

he has 3x400w 20k MH lights. all his equipment is listed. not a bad place to start IMO.[/QUOTE]

Daves tank is nuts, what a setup! No, what a coral collection!!! I am afriad to see it face to face, he would have call the cops to get me to leave. LOL or offer up that crazy tabeling acro.

I have to disagree with the skimmer being "THE" filtration for a reef tank, you cannot discount the fuge, liverock and flow as a VERY LARGE part of the filtration as well.

[QUOTE=][B]Skriz;373495 wrote:[/B] There's a lot of bad advice here, so let's go over a few things:

The number one thing to get right now is PATIENCE. Nothing good comes from rushing into things with this hobby. The number 2 thing to get is an ARC membership :D[/QUOTE]

:up:+1:up:

[QUOTE=][B]AugustaSalty;373636 wrote:[/B] I believe skimmers work, i believe they do what they are supposed to do. However, skimmers remove nutrients en masse. They remove everything, good and bad. I started building set ups without skimmers that had very large refugiums with tons of light. This removes nitrates and phosphates while leavin behind protein. The protein is good for corals and fish. Not everyone agrees, i understand that. But I took home a Purple tang that was almost dead from lateral line disease. Six weeks later in my skimmerless system you could not tell he had ever had the disease. Skimmers are a great way to go for begginners and old hands alike. But there are other ways. My tank is flourishing with acros, millies, digis caps, many other sps, acans lords, acan echinatas, all other manners of LPS and tons of softies. Skimmers do what they are inteded to do, but why dose protiens while working hard to pull them out? Skimmers work, but there are other ways.[/QUOTE]

It is because of your experiences that you are comfortable with this belief. Have you ever ran a real skimmer? Would you say that your coral colors rival what is seen in Acroholics and Joes tanks? I do agree with some of what you said.

Tell us what you plan on growing in your tank. Coral, fish only etc. we can easily go from there and give you options to look at and research for your benefit.
Seems like you are already going in the right direction by asking questions first. Another thing-store sponsors offer an ARC discount. Welcome and happy reefing

I do plan on joining the club. I cant believe this because i always said i would never do saltwater onl would do freshwater but somehow i caught the bug! right now i am just putting together a plan and will slowly pick up my equiptment as i can afford it until i have everything i need , this could take me up to a year to collect everything due to the cost but i want to do it right! I want many corals and fish and i know the larger the tank the more stable it is right ? I may tone it down to a 125 but I dont want to regret my tank size choice as i only want to do this once.

In the tank size I would go with the largest one I had room for. When I started 2 years ago I thought that a 150 would be great for at least a few years, But I was wrong. Before the year was up I had to get a 210. And now I wish it was bigger. The reason is it looks huge with out anything in them but once you put the sand, rocks, and some corals in and they start to grow it feels up fast.
As far as the lights go I have 8 T-5's over mine with the 660 ice caps. At times I think it is too much light for some of the things I like to grow. At other times it is not enough. So I think it is totaly a what you like thing when it come to lights.
I have an ASM 400+ skimmer for my tank and it works great. I only have a 75 gallon sump under my tank. I do believe in there shold be plenty of live rock in the tank to help with keeping everything in line. Also for flow I have 3 korlia4's in my tank.
I am in no way an expert at this reefing thing but this is what I have so far and everything looks to be happy. But a tank is like a woman great one min. and pissed the next. So happy reefing to you and good luck.

It is only a matter of time before the problems begin and when they do we will say I told you so.

dawgdude;374211 wrote: Ill compare your 300w to Darrens previous 90g cube with dual 150w any day. :)

As far as your "protein" argument. Unless fish started feeding through osmosis then you are supposed to enrich food with HUFA and feed the fish with it. You said that the purple tang was cured due to the excess nutrients in the water? I dont understand how this could be the case since no one REALLY knows what causes HLLED. If you can explain to me how fish feed off of the dissolved organics within the water column that foam fractionation is able to remove then I will believe it. Until then Ill keep skimming and soaking my food in selcon. From my experience, excess nutrients in the water are only beneficial in low light softie tank with corals such as mushrooms, kenya tree, zoas and leathers. Any other corals I know of prefer low nutrients and conditions much like the ocean they came from.

....BOO-YAH!!!!!!

sorry...

@dawg:
I recently read an article promoting the idea of nutrient rich water for faster healing time of specimen.
They compared to the idea of ointment on human skin...

But in general - I do concur with the majority on this thread.

I use a kent nautilus venturi driven on mine - and it does a good job - I have not tried the Skimmers that are air pump driven could the variance of opinion be from the experience of different types ? or is fo those that like to run a refugium ? bu ti have seen designs that use both

Back