What to do about algae, etc. in silicon seals?

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
I'm cleaning a used tank in preparation for setting it up and the glass is coming nicely clean. Only problem is the silicon (silicone?). How do you clean/remove the stuff in the corners? Would you replace the silicon either in part or altogether? Or would that affect the integrity of the seal? I'm afraid to scrub too hard, or the silicon will peel off.

Now that the glass is all sparkling clean, that stuff is really noticeable, and I'd love to be able to get rid of it.

Thanks!

~LL

i would try some vinegar. is this that 90 gallon you were waiting on.come to think of it try usining your finger nail to scrap it.

Yes, this is that 90g.

I'll try vinegar, but the stuff has worked itself up under the silicone. No real way to eradicate it complete without removing the silicone.

I'm wondering if the tank should just be resealed all the way around just in case (as a precaution), since it had been set up for years before we got it? Perhaps a LFS offers this service? Probably cost an arm and a leg though. Seems like DIY silicone on all edges wouldn't be that big a deal.

try some bleach water, this is how we clean all of the tanks we buy back from customers.

Jaandgc;77472 wrote: try some bleach water, this is how we clean all of the tanks we buy back from customers.

Will try this tomorrow... thanks!!

Also, where the silicone is jagged, loose and lifting up from the glass, should I reseal it?

I want to make sure it's completely secure before I fill this thing up. Been so many with tank leaks lately.

:boo: Don't scrape to hard, I did that on my sump. That is when I learned how to reseal a tank. It wasn't as pretty as it used to be, but its sealed again.:mad2:

linda if the silicon has algea inside i would think that the integraty of the seal is damaged lets just hope no and the best of luck ...just something to think about

flaco626nj;77529 wrote: linda if the silicon has algea inside i would think that the integraty of the seal is damaged lets just hope no and the best of luck ...just something to think about

I'm with Victor on this one. How far into the silicone does the algae penetrate?

It would be similar to a bath tub seal that had mildew under it. Same appearance. Who can reseal this thing for her correctly?

flaco626nj;77529 wrote: linda if the silicon has algea inside i would think that the integraty of the seal is damaged lets just hope no and the best of luck ...just something to think about

seal may be damaged?

something to think about??

best of luck???

oh, great... now I'm worried.

Linda Lee;77538 wrote: seal may be damaged?

something to think about??

best of luck???

oh, great... now I'm worried.

:D I wouldn't worry TOooo MUCH about it:eek:

Yeah fish look "NEAT" flopping around on sand but not as "NEAT" as 90 gallons on the hardwood floor :D

Well, My tank has been used for saltwater for the better part of 15 years, and the seals are fine. This tank held water before you bought it and should also hold water for you as well.

I wouldn't hesitate to spray PLAIN bleach (NOT a product like Clorox Clean-Up or Tilex which also contains surfactants) onto the seams to see if they will come clean. The only thing about using bleach in a fish tank or equipment is remembering to RINSE WELL and LET IT DRY COMPLETELY before using it for livestock. Bleach basically breaks down to salt and water, when it's dry, its basically a salt residue. (13 years in the janitorial field)....

just re-seal it, peal all the old sealent off. Make sure you have it all off. Clean with rubbing alcohol. Make sure it is dry, place 2ea pieces of masking tape just out side the joint in which to be sealed, going from top to bottom. The reason for the tape is to ensure you have nice even lines for you silicone. Apply silicone with finger tip, have plenty of paper towels nearby to wipe off excess sealent. When applying first coat ensure that you push the sealent into the groove sufficently and try to avoid bubbles within sealent. Do a couple more layers and make sure the last coating is nice and smooth. Wait about 30 mins and pull your tape off while sealent is still wet. Wait 48 hours and you can add SW.

After cleaning with bleach simply fill the tank with water and add a bottle of prime. This will neutralize the bleach

Dakota9;80017 wrote: Hey L, what did you guys end up doing to fix this issue?

Nothing.... yet.

Tank will sit empty for sometime, while I accumulate supporting equipment.

I'm saving my pennies for lights/pump/skimmer.

Funny how somethings bother others and somethings aren't noticed by some. I'm sorry, I didn't even notice any of the algea in the silicone. For what it's worth, I never had any leak problems with the tank, as Loren can attest to since it was full when he came over.

Rob

I didn't intend any kind of criticism and the algae is mostly just an asthetic issue. Same thing has happened to my 33g Oceanic which has held water for 25+ years. Even with regular glass cleaning, the silicone still has algae accumulation and I was soliciting opinions on how to get rid of it.

Back