What to do about coral warfare?

sharis100

Supporting
Reaction score
So, while our survivors of our house disaster were housed in the temporary trough, they were all squished and on top of one another and there were no issues. Moved them into the DT and two of them started fighting and killed each other. They were both encrusted on the rock and since they coexisted for months thought nothing of leaving them like that. Have no idea what the melted pools of acropora were that took up residency on the back wall rock during the trough days. The beautiful now deceased green acropora did not survive the battle. Both are bleached and browned out lumps :(. I guess all the space was too much and they had to fight to the death ??? Everything else in the tank is fine.
787E4985-AA93-40A6-8EDA-01EEB81F67FA.jpeg

About the only thing you can do is keep things spaced out adequately. Most of the time acros are ok next to each other. Hammers / torches and galaxia are NOTORIOUS for blowing up their neighbors.
If your water parameters are good all you can really do is wait to see if the coral pulls through. Keep in mind the added stress of moving tanks and such probably added a lot to the stress and may have contributed to its demise.

Sometimes running carbon for a few days can negate any toxins in the water. Keep an eye on things. If this condition spreads to another coral you may have other issues. Make sure your alk is in line:)

Spacing and monitoring is about the only thing I can think of. Spacing is self explanatory but monitoring is super important to because sometimes a colony will freak out. Seriously freak out. I have a caulastrea colony in the middle of my tank and everything had sort of grown up around it. Things were fine for years (years!) until one day a small mushroom got a little too close. That solitary mushroom apparently set something off because the entire colony turned in to a swirling death machine. It took out parts of monits, chalices, palys and killed off a previously unkillable group of mushrooms. Once it got over whatever the heck went wrong, it settled back down and has been a model tank citizen for a year now. But now I monitor it like it's Mt Saint Helen's.

Unfortunately as we had no choice with spacing during the trough months, they were squished together. Now our Toby puffer uses the cupped acro as a bed at nite- so we will leave it in place. If algae forms and the frags go completely, we will replace with more adequate spacing. Our parameters have been very stable, so maybe it was nipped by a fish (Toby or the file fish have been naughty) and started the spiral down?

Sorry about your loss. If nothing else, be sure to run carbon for a bit to remove any toxins that were released during your battle of the corals.:( You don't want any of the nasty residuals floating around in your DT. I'm going to be in the same situation soon if I don't move an invasive monti that's creeping up on another one.

My spade invader pectinia and bubble gum chalice got into a fight and I was surprised by the result. The pectinia lost big time and the chalice only had minimal damage. They had been within the same spot in the last few years but I guess one got really excited recently and the tentacles from one reached further than what they typically did for the last few years.

53E7A649-9B2A-4E4F-813C-AF101723E1CD.jpeg
0FB5DA13-2760-4271-9684-7261247B9AAD.jpeg

My spade invader pectinia and bubble gum chalice got into a fight and I was surprised by the result. The pectinia lost big time and the chalice only had minimal damage. They had been within the same spot in the last few years but I guess one got really excited recently and the tentacles from one reached further than what they typically did for the last few years.

View attachment 18384
View attachment 18385
So sorry!

Back