what to do with old rock

fjr

Market
Reaction score
i had a 75 gallon tank that has been down for about 2 years now.I had green algae real bad and lost everything.so i am wanting to start up again.my question is what can I do to clean my rock and use it for base rock in a 125 i am gonna start?

+1 id go with muriatic acid then rinse it, let dry, rinse it again and youre good to go

Picoreefguy;981663 wrote: +1 id go with muriatic acid then rinse it, let dry, rinse it again and youre good to go

This will get out any dead organic material and remove any phosphates that can possible leach from your rock.

What do you do with old rock??? Put it on the turntable and crank it it!!!!

Should I run a skimmer and gfo on this pukani in a tub after I acid wash and then start to cure? Or does the acid wash cancel that need?

You should definitely put in a tub and add prime or something similar to make sure all stuff is removed. You dont really need a skimmer, but start to cycle it again....throw a piece of LR in there and let it do it's thing.

ok thanks how long do i need to soak the rocks in the acid?

Till it quits bubbling then wait another 30 minutes to be sure its done.

also make sure you wear proper safty equipment (gloves and googles, possibly a face mask if its not windy when youre working outside)

Don't you need to use baking soda to neutralize the acid? Because pukani is so porous I don't want to eat it all up.:. I wonder if I don't leave it in there as long as just standard dead rock

I'd say there's some nasty stuff in here

981765=56028-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409340194.673038.jpg
>
981765=56028-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409340194.673038.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409340194.673038.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Back