What to do with waste saltwater?

cgill311

Market
Reaction score
I realize that living in Atlanta and having sewar systems for waste water is nice for disposing of saltwater. And since I'm in an apartment, I don't think twice about tossing saltwater down the drain.

I was just wondering what people that have septic tanks do with their waste saltwater. Will this screw up the septic tank?

I found this:

The Effect of Sodium Salt on Septic Systems
Common knowledge supports that higher levels of sodium salt can have a direct impact on bacterial life forms. For instance, most bacteria usually found in fresh water ecosystems would be unable to live in a high salinity environment like an ocean. For this reason, concern was generated that septic systems that rely so heavily on bacterial action may be effected by high concentrations of sodium.

These concerns seem to be unwarranted. First, a typical residential sized water softener discharges between 40 and 70 gallons of water per regeneration. Through much of the regeneration process, fresh water is discharged, containing no salt at all, so the total concentration of salt is very dilute. However, during some stages of regeneration, the sodium concentration can reach as high a 5,000 to 10,000 ppm for brief periods of time.

To see if this level of sodium effected microorganisms typically found in aerobic on-site septic systems, a study was performed that exposed these microbes to a worst case scenario of 10,000 ppm brine solution. The study concluded that “there were no statistically significant differences in the metabolic activity of the microbial community”, and that it was “unlikely that failures in domestic water treatment system are the result of exposure to the brine from home water softeners.” (1)

Other studies indicate that the effect of putting softened water into septic system can actually be beneficial. There is a very low amount of sodium contained in softened water. For every grain of hardness removed, approximately 8 ppm (parts per million) of sodium is added. Although some naturally occurring water sources have very high sodium levels, softened water normally has a slightly elevated sodium level vs. untreated hard water. While this concentration is normally insignificant at typical hardness levels, these higher sodium levels are more in the optimal range for septic system bacterial growth, and can promote bacterial development.(2,7)
Ref:

a>

I dump it on the driveway. Keeps the weeds down and the driveway looking white...:D

johnny

johnqx4 wrote: I dump it on the driveway. Keeps the weeds down and the driveway looking white...:D

johnny

How does the grass next to the driveway look?

Mine goes down the driveway as well (steep driveway) and into the gutter area beside the road. Eventually it finds the storm runoff but it may take a rain to get it enough help to reach the drain.

Unless you are dumping hundreds of gallons at a time, you can pour it down the drain. A 5-gallon water change will get very diluted in the septic tank and shouldn't change the salinity in the tank enough to cause problems. It takes a pretty drastic change to cause osmotic effects on the bacteria in the tank.

FYI - Sea water is around 35,000 ppm salt, compared to the 10,000 ppm in the story above.

Down the driveway. I only do weekly 5 gallon water changes on my 58G tank. It has not had an effect on the grass.

Warm months: Dump it on the pine needles, Prevents weed from growing through in the thin areas.

Cold months: down the drain.

I dump it off the back deck or into my QT tank...

I do not dump it down the drains incase it empties into a waterway. I do not want any of the crud I have kept (eg, Macroalgae) to impact the environment in anyway.

<----- Tree hugger

wbholwell wrote: How does the grass next to the driveway look?

It doesn't really affect it. If I see a weed growing I will dump it on it and it will kill it (at least turn it brown for a while).

But otherwise the water evaporates in minutes then the rain dilutes it (in a big way)

Doesn't hurt anything...

johnny

Back