What to put in your HOB filter?

wannabeeareefkeeper

Market
Reaction score
I'm curious what you are placing in your hang on the back filters. I just recently read a post here at ARC related to Chemi-Pure and Chemi-Pure Blue. I just threw away a new bag of Chemi-Pure Blue that was less than 2 weeks in use because of the post here at ARC.

What is a reliable media that you use? I do have some matrix in a filter bag for each of the HOB filters. I thought the Chemi-Pure stuff was reliable until I read the post. What type of carbon do you use? I believe in using a quality product for my tank mates and finding out that the carbon in the Chemi-Pure in sub-par is just mind bogging. Any help would be appreciated, except products coming out of C****?

Wannabee

Phosguard cannot be regenerated. Purigen can be though. Both are fine for HOB. Filter pads are good for mechanical filtration - rinse weekly, replace monthly or more often if needed.

Seachem Matrix carbon is good too. Some people just run carbon for a day or two, once a month or so, others run it 24/7. I run it all the time - rinse any media well.

Matrix is good biological media, Phosguard is good chemical media for phosphate removal and Purigen is good for organic removal, as is carbon.

Jenn

JennM;1016624 wrote: Phosguard cannot be regenerated. Purigen can be though. Both are fine for HOB. Filter pads are good for mechanical filtration - rinse weekly, replace monthly or more often if needed.

Seachem Matrix carbon is good too. Some people just run carbon for a day or two, once a month or so, others run it 24/7. I run it all the time - rinse any media well.

Matrix is good biological media, Phosguard is good chemical media for phosphate removal and Purigen is good for organic removal, as is carbon.

Jenn
Jenn is right, I meant purigen

Back