What tools are a must to DIY a stand

db366

Reaction score
I want to try building a stand, more so to see if I can do it than anything. What tools are a must have? I am thinking a jigsaw (tank has a curve in the front), Circular saw, Router (pretty edges), Sander(I was thinking about one of those new occilatting tools), and a drill. Is that about right? My selection of tools are pretty grim and figure I need to start a collection anyways and I need xmas present ideas for the parents and in-laws.

Imo the stuff you listed should be fine. Maybe some 4ft clamps to let glue set under presssure

While you can do it with the items you listed a Compound Miter saw and/or a table saw are a big help to getting things precise. They are also expensive. LOL

Nothing worse than building a stand to only find out later it is crooked, get a metal square to make sure you get good angles. Clamps too!

don't think I could argue that one. LOL

haninja;708407 wrote: The best tools will be a)cell phone b)grouper's phone number and c)check book

How about a pocket hole jig? It all depends on how pretty the inside needs to be, but so far as standard furniture building this is a good one for strong corner joints. Clamps, Clamps Clamps.

1.25 hp or larger router with a spiral up cut bit or circular saw, miter saw (hand or electric),straight edge, drill and a pocket hole jig, Good plans!

So if I got a miter saw would I even need a circular saw? Or could I do the same job with a table saw? I might pick up a hand miter saw for now, I have a budget of around $500 in gifts to give out a list for. I think I might end up having to pick some of this stuff up on my dime afterwards lol.

tablesaw would suffice for the circular saw and the mitersaw. Look on craigslist for a used sears craftsman table saw

Could have sold you a nice portable folding table saw awhile back at half price. New they run $300.00 from HD. If you are doing it for the fun and you want to have tools to use in the future that is great. But, if you will never use the tools again, you may be better off paying Grouper by the time you buy the tools and materials. It gets spendy quick. Sounds like another hobby I have that gets expensive quick.

rdnelson99;708533 wrote: Could have sold you a nice portable folding table saw awhile back at half price. New they run $300.00 from HD. If you are doing it for the fun and you want to have tools to use in the future that is great. But, if you will never use the tools again, you may be better off paying Grouper by the time you buy the tools and materials. It gets spendy quick. Sounds like another hobby I have that gets expensive quick.

I doubt it will ever turn into a hobby or anything but I need to start a tool collection. I am sure after I get them I will find a couple other uses for them.

If you are not an avid woodworker like I am(Not), save the money on all those saws. I have 3 different ones and have only really used the jig and circular saw the most. Now, if you're going into wood floor installations or something like that, go for it. Just trying to save you a buck.

What do you plan on building the stand from (2x4s or 3/4" plywood)? That will help define the basic tools needed.

Dustin

I haven't decided. I was thinking of framing it with 2x2's but I am not sure if racking would be an issue, even though it would still be framed with mdf or ply. Let's just say ply for now.

Back