what triggers are reef safe

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
i love trigger fish they are beautiful fish but i kow that they are not reef safe the only one i know that is is the crosshatch but they are too expensive and i cant find them small for my 90 fal reef i saw chrisjet had one a niger i think but im not sure they are reefsafe any input

all of them will eat snails and other inverts.

what about the blue throath or pink tail.

<p style="text-align:left;">Crosshatch Triggers, Sargassum Triggers, Niger Triggers, and Bluethroats are all reef safe, but not necessarily crustacean safe. They're may be more that are reef safe, but I only know those.

Sargassum's are the coolest IMO.

actualy, blind is wrong - blue throats and pink tails r reef safe , nigers are hit or miss , most of them eat hermits and scrrimps

No.

Pink tail has the rep of being the calmest

Niger is another.

I have had a clown which is a blast to watch, a huma huma which has tons of personality and the niger which is pretty but kinda boring.

Remember most times as triggers get older they get belligerent.

You know Victor, if you didn't buy a fish and sell it every other day you could get a crosshatch... What am I saying... Victor... You should get a Crosshatch and when you don't want it I want first dibs :D

Victor626nj;152776 wrote: ok how about clams cause im realy thinking on getting one

Personally I like them steamed, but one isn't enough, you need at least 12:roll:

I have a blue throat trigger and she has not bothered any thing in the tank. One thing for sure it does like to eat. I feed it at least three time a day.

dawgdude;152775 wrote: Yeah I just did some checking and you want to stick with the Genus Xanthicthys.

Dawg dude nailed it, as did SCM Steve. Pink tails still have massive jaw strength. All of Xanthicthys is reef safe. And expensive.

"Reef safe" is a subjective term. My crosshatch male ate nearly evry one of my chromis, but not another thing. Is that reef safe? I have heard about a female blue jawe that developed a taste for clam mantles. Overall, it depends what youre looking for to put in with it.

Any Trigger you buy your taking a chance. I have had several Nigers and Pink Tails that were very aggressive. Blue Throats would be about the calmest Trigger Ive ever experienced.

Our blue throat female is super passive, doesn't mess with a thing except the food you throw in.....she tears it up!

i guess with all the small fish i have this isnt such a good idea ....oh well it was a thought thanks panda and all others for the info

I am going to add a trigger when I come up with the cash, I'm going to put a Saragassum in there, just got to make sure I get a large one..so it doesn't get killed by the other fish.

Back