What type of fans under light fixture?

oz

Market
Reaction score
I am about to mount a 72" Aquamedic HQI fixture (thanks D) above my 155 bowfront. Due to the eel and some jumper blennys, I have glass tops. The fixture will be mounted on the leg stands I just ordered which will make it 3" or so above the tank. I am ok with this height but concerned with the heat build up between the fixture (3-250W and 2-150W) and the glass tops.

I was thinking about mounting some server fans or something on each end to keep the air moving but I know you guys have better / tested alternatives.

Please share! :D

Chris

Can you replace the glass tops with egg crate? Even with fans you'll be turning the tank into an oven...

I've got 4" fans built into my mount, but I use a couple of clip on 8" fans from Kmart for extra air movement...cheap and quiet.

I agree with George. The glass tops will prevent evaporation, which is key to cooling. Try using eggcrate to keep your fish in the tank.

Most of us use fans for cooling too. The larger, slower fans are much more quiet.

I was going to say Florida Gator fans, but then you'd just increase the hot air

:shades:

Linda Lee;137860 wrote: I was going to say Florida Gator fans, but then you'd just increase the hot air

:shades:

What are you talking about? Those jean shorts are COOL</em>!

Now that I think about it, drilled plexiglass would accomplish the same goal? Not sure if I am a fan of the cosmetic appearance of the egg crate.

and where are you guys getting the egg crate material?

ChrisOzment;137867 wrote: Now that I think about it, drilled plexiglass would accomplish the same goal? Not sure if I am a fan of the cosmetic appearance of the egg crate.

I don't know about plexi, but we tried drilling acrylic for an eel tank and it cracked all to bits. The stuff we used was very thin though. I saw acrylic tops with small holes drilled (I think) at Saltwater City. You might talk to Sal.

I like the acrylic holes idea as well. Still waiting to see a good one so I can snap up a set for myself.

looks like I may just get fans to move the air between the fixture and the glass tops and fork out the $ for a 1/4HP chiller. No to find a nice and quiet chiller.....

Chris, you can have Woody build you some acrylic tops with holes. Woody builds tanks, sump and any acrylic stuff. His shop in Canton. Sal or Mike can get you his contact info.

Back