What type of reef salt should I buy?

thanhreef

Market
Reaction score
I have enjoyed buying water at LFS for a year :). Now, I am tired of it :blush:. I am going to install my new Filter Guys Water Saver RO/DI system this weekend. I can mix my own water.

What type of reef salt should I buy?
I heard Seachem Reef Salt is pretty good.

thanks,

I would have to say the last polls taken reef crystals stole the show plus I use rc.
+1 for reefcrystals

thank you all.
I also found the useful thread
showthread.php

Some folks are loyal to one product and stick with it.

All quality salts provide the essential elements...but they provide different levels of these and other properties. I find that Seachem and HW for example provides me with a higher calcium that RC. I have used Tropic Marin as well. I dont know whats in it...but my leathers love it.

I think it is interesting to see how your corals react to different salts and switch it up from time to time.
Just stay with known,good quality and you will be fine.

Probably not a bad idea to ask you LFS what they use...that you have in your system now...and start with that.

vista;372990 wrote: thank you all.
I also found the useful thread
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17879&highlight=Seachem+Reef+Salt">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17879&highlight=Seachem+Reef+Salt</a>[/QUOTE]

That poll is fairly old. I voted for Reef Crystals because I used it then. Now I use Reef Salt and to be honest, I would not go back to RC because of the money I save in Calcium and Magnesium additives. I have had a great experience with Reef Salt.

Thanks,
Tim

Seachem all the way. I used to use rc for price. But, when you take into account the additives needed to boost it to seachem levels, it's no longer a value.

Seachem has shown to be very good for me and it's all I use now.

On another note, I also have 2 buckets of H2Ocean Salt available in stock for $63 each.

Thanks,
Tim

When you folks switched salts did you gradually switch or just start using the new salt?

I just switched from RC to Seachem about 4 weeks ago. I had one 30G batch that was a mixture of the two but now it is all Seachem. I made two changes at the same time, added a UV sterilizer and switched to Seachem and now I am growing more algae than I ever have before. This has to be a coincidence but nothing else has been added, taken away or changed in the same timeframe. Today I added a BRS carbon reactor and at some point I'll probably try adding GFO.

Originally, I switched from Instant Ocean to Seachem because Keen Reef sells it dirt cheap @ $39 per bucket. I can't mail order it for that cheap, and even the local "group buys" can't touch that price.

Now, I'm still buying it from Keen Reef, but I've stuck with it because of the alk/calc levels it provides. A fresh batch of Seachem saltwater has consistently given me an alkalinity of 11dkH, calcium at 480ppm, and magnesium at 1280ppm. I add a little bit of mag to my water change mixes and that's all I need to do.

Seachem all the way.

-Dustin

Seachem Reef.

(after IO, after Oceanic, after Tropic Marin Pro Reef)

NOT Red Sea!!

Right now I'm back with Oceanic. Good salt, mixes easily but it does leave a film in my containers after multiple water changes. Not sure if I'll try another brand as I've never had a single issue (other than cyno but I still don't know the cause of that one).

I remember Jenn mentioning some new salt that's about to made here in GA that'll post the scientific analysis of that batch. I may give that a go when it comes out.

au01st;373017 wrote: Switched to Seachem Reef Salt from Reef Crystals. Not switching back.

Skriz;373024 wrote: Seachem all the way. I used to use rc for price. But, when you take into account the additives needed to boost it to seachem levels, it's no longer a value.

Seachem has shown to be very good for me and it's all I use now.
+1 My corals have flourished!:thumbs:

Back