What's going with my Red Planet

pbyrmartin

Market
Reaction score
I have a full colony red planet but for the past 4 months it has been losing tissue at the base and tip at certain sections.
A little history: the tank was lit with t-5 lamps (8 bulb), back in November (2013) I switch to Led Reefbreeder 48
after the switch the colony started changing color, it was now more pink with a lime green background color.
but the tissue loss was still happening, slowed down a bit
I just came back from vacation(7 days) and the red planet is 70% gone ( the other coral is doing great in the same tank)
water par. is ok
cal 380
Alk 8.3
mag 1290
ph 8.2
Led is set 70% max
the frag tank(t-5) is doing real well with red planet and other sps, it's tied in with the main tank
I am at a lost, don't know what's wrong, but the frag tank is unaffected
not sure if it's the water chem or lighting
any advice will help.

it's not pest

its more like rtn

I have been washing my filter sock in the washer not sure if I picked up some kind of chemical

tissue loss

also
I just notice tissue loss on my Red with Green Eyes War Coral

something is definitely going on in the tank

just did a big water change going to run carbon now, need filter bags

I hope it's nothing more than a lighting transition/change. It may very well be until it adapt to its new parameters vis-a-vie lighting.

Or quite possibly check your test kits/exp. dates. Red planets usually go awry with changes in Alk/CA, specifically with low Alk despite stable CA.

My red planet doesn't particularly like my reef breeder either... all other acros are fine.

heathlindner25;950856 wrote: My red planet doesn't particularly like my reef breeder either... all other acros are fine.

what % are you on the whites and blue

How is the flow in your tank? As corals get larger, the flow that sufficed when they were small may not be enough. I had a similar issue several years ago, and I increased the flow in the tank and the corals recovered.

It could be something like flow instead of a pest or a chemistry issue. Just a thought.

pbyrmartin;950859 wrote: what % are you on the whites and blue

My redplanet is doing well under my reefbreeders. Color is great and growth is decent. I do have quite a bit of random flow on the coral.

flow is high in the tank I think

running 2 jebo wp40 and a third power head in one corner

polyp extension is good

under the t-5's this thing was growing like grabgrass,
I am starting to think I have the led % up too high it was 76% on the whites thought it was 70
I am droping it to 60% and see what happen

Back