What's on your bottom?

tsciarini

Market
Reaction score
Get your mind out of the gutter!

BB, DSB or SSB?

(You may select multiple choices for multiple tanks)

It would appear our poll calculator is an idiot.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
12703=871-ARC Poll.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
12703=871-ARC Poll.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ARC Poll.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Poll is still on the short bus with a 120% total.

My is SSB now, but my 60 cube will be a 4-5" DSB

haha so what is considered a dsb how deep and how deep is a ssb? Mine is about 2 inches. but my maroons makes it like 6 in some places. lol

I have a SSB on my 120. I just don't like the look of BB tanks that much. I have only seen a few BB tanks that I liked. I understand the benefits and someday I may eat my own words, but that's just my preference for now.

I have a shallow sand bed and I love it. I just dont like the look of a BB tank

the thing I miss the most without having sand is when the fish filter it thu their gills to get scraps of food. Sooooo awesome! Least i get to see that at my house tank. Oh and btw, southdown sand is awesome, its sooo super fine grain.

SSB is about 2.5" and less and DSB is anything more than that, but usually 4+"

Sprayin70 wrote: I have a SSB.

Congradulations on achieving your SSB. AHA thanks for the frags at the party there loving life!!!:thumbs: dont have a pic of the staghorn you gave me.

i had a bare bottom tank for than 3 years...I finally added a ssb....
BOY WHAT A DIFFERENCE.... i was worried about nitrates...but they are zero still...and the halides bounce of the bottom now and the tank looks so much brighter...

2 inches in main display, with a 6 inch DSB in refugium, refugium measures 24 x 36 wide , I plan on adding more sand to display tank.

So I've been reading about tank set-ups and what type of sand bed, if any, should be used for optimal filtration. Right now I have a SSB and I think I might have gone wrong. What I read was that a sand bed doesn't help you unless you have water flow through it, in fact it might hurt you. The only way to get your sand bed to work for you is if you set-up a plenum type system where the sand bed is not actually in contact with the botom of your tank. This is what allows your sand to "breath" and actually act more like LR. Looking at the poll I would have to believe that this is not the norm. I'm guessing that if you can create enough water flow over your sand and not let detritus build you're ok. Can anyone help explain or maybe easy my mind?

Back