What's the best way to lower nitrates?

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
Still new to the aquarium thing and i think I am missing something. This is a fish only with live rock setup. 35 gallon tank with 20 gallon sump.

I've been having problems keeping my nitrates down. It seems like I am doing a 12 gallon water change every week and still having problems keeping it low.

For fish I have 2 clowns, fire fish, Bangai cardinal, orchid Doty back and a Fox face. All see very small. Fox face being probably the biggest at 2.5". (I know at some point the Fox face will have to go to a bigger tank). I also have a chocolate chip starfish, cleaner shrimp, 2 hermit crabs and a 6 snails.

I have around 80#s of live rock. 50 of that in the sump. Water drains into the protein skimmer chamber, through an over under over bubble trap, then into my live rock area. Then over another piece of glass into the return pump.

I have space for more live rock and could start filling the protein skimmer area if needed.

Would more live rock help?

Would more clean up crew help? If so which ones?

Would changing the flow of the sump so the water comes in the top of the live rock area and out the bottom help more? Right now I think it is just flowing over the top.

Any other options? Less fish and less feeding I am sure would help, but these fish are tiny right now. The clowns are maybe 1.5" at most. I also feed them one time a day with a very small amount of lrs reef frenzy. All food is gone with in a minute easy.

Thanks...

Just noticed in another post about cleaning the sump.... I've never done that. I've always did the way change by sucking the water out of the display tank and filling it up back there.

Would emptying the sump help? I have noticed when ever I do anything in the sump it blows lots of crap up into the display tank.

That's a lot of rock in a 20g sump. It is likely you have detritous building up between the rock in there. Maybe you can move some of that to the protein skimmer area to allow better flow thru the rock. Also, do you have any macros in your sump, like caulerpa or chaeto. Macros use nitrates to grow.

i keep powerheads in the sump.keeps it nice and clean.keeping your overflows help too.water changes and feed less.keeping star fish in the overflows helps aswell tey will eat the food that goes inthe overflow.running filter socks will help aswell

I used to have a power head in the sump, but never liked it. Just seemed to blow crap up in the tank. I have no macro in the sump....as I am not really sure what that is.I'll have to look it up.

So seems like both of you think the flow in the sump is causing this?

Sorry macroalgae are saltwater plants. There are many kinds. Cheatomorpha(sp?) is the most popular for use in refugiums.

Anywhere nasty stuff can collect and water doesn't move thru can become a nitrate/phosphate issue.

You want all the crap out of the tank and end up in the sump but once you get it there you have to take it out some how (vacuum).
Also as Amy said the rocks might be to tightly pack and minimal water flow through it, which will lead to crap build up.
Water change is the #1 go too.

So I will still cleaning the display tank and start cleaning the sump.

I don't see much water flowing through the rocks right now, which is I think the root of my problem, like you guys gave suggested. The water is just flowing over the top and back down. I gotta change that.

If you can open up your floor plan a little and add if up don't have a little power head already pointed at the back of the tank or rock.
That would help.

I'm going to do another water change today. I'll pull the rock out and vacuum up the little sand that is down there. Hopefully I can get out some of the particles that keep getting sucked up into the tank when the power head is in there.

Here's the best question and I may have missed it

What test kit are you using?

Api nitrates test kit

This one:
a>

That's prolly your problem. They are junk and inaccurate. Go buy a better kit man and try

They are just cheap.

Good for cycling because they give you a estimated range.

Just bad kits and cheaply made

GaJeep94YJ;1022773 wrote: Nice..... Just bought a whole set of them....

So what makes them junk?

If one time you fail to shake the nitrate solutions they are corrupt from then on. Think of oil and vinegar. Mix up the right quantities and shake it every tim and it stays with the correct mix. Don't shake it on time and pour some out and the mix will never be the same again.

API are not that bad unless you improperly store them. I've use them against Hannah, Elos, and Red Sea. Not that far off. Unless you want a pinpoint number, API is relatively accurate. At least in my personal use. Most of the LFS use them to test the water for you.

I honestly don't know but it's always where I put mine test kits and food lol . It hasn't been an issue for me when it comes to accuracy to test kits

Can someone recommend the recommended way of checking nitrates? Brand name of the test?

Also should I take a water sample and get it tested to see how it compares?

Back