What's the difference between a frag and a colony?

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
I see places where folks are selling a colony that to me is just a frag - lol. At what point is a SPS frag a colony? I'm just curious, really.

I believe a colony is more than 1 of anything. Examplw: 1 zoa is a frag, several is a colony.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

In my opinion a frag is a fresh cut maybe starting to encrust or generate baby polyps, a colony head encrusted the plug fully and is growing branches or polyps are now growing off of the plug because there is no space left on the plug.

I agree with Bobby. Once the coral has encrusted the plug, has more than one branch and has branches starting of the plug. Then it's a Mini Colony.
With many of the slower growing SPS it can take month to a year to encrust a 3/4" plug. Granted, a more seasoned reefer with good husbandry skills can do a bit better.

Even if there's a couple branches, if it's a fresh cut with little to no encrusting... it's a frag.

A colony is thriving and growing, and has an exponentially higher survival rate and growth rate. I think of a drag as typically having a single polyp, or as others have said, being freshly cut.

At the end of the day, it’s semantics; nothing more. You can make more mula by calling it a colony than you can a frag.

In my novice opinion - a colony should mean that you can create multiple frags from it.
I agree with the mini-colony definition because an encrusted plug is a more than a frag but a lot less than a colony.

However, it seems like people can name anything whatever they want in this business so I guess the same goes for this stuff.

From the jokes that I have seen (memes), it depends on how long the reefer has been in the hobby. I guess years (decades maybe ) ago...frags were larger than what they are today...and so on

Glad this thread is back on track... and there's been several posts! that way I don't have to see Dave's spam sales posts unless I scroll up. :rolleyes:

Dang is everyone going pro...pretty soon there won’t be any hobbyists left to buy corals, lol

How about the difference between a nice frag

And a really nice frag...
Now that's just cruel. You know you're dealing with a crip that has had everything delayed with his system, right?

Oh how I long for the blue glow as I walk in the tank room...

Now that's just cruel. You know you're dealing with a crip that has had everything delayed with his system, right?

Oh how I long for the blue glow as I walk in the tank room...

You'll soon have that nice blue glow again. When you do just reach out, I'll have a couple on the side for you...

Now until then, I can print out some high resolution photos you can hang in the fish room...LMK!

Back