whats the difference between t5s and t12s?

markl

Market
Reaction score
ive been looking at parts for t5 set ups and also seeing t12 stuff just didnt know what the differnce was. does the end caps the same . how about the icecap 660 ballast ? ive got kind of a plan just wondering whats best.

It is the intensity of the bulb. You would want to go with t 5's if possible. They are smaller diameter thus more bulbs. The end caps for retros look the same but the bulbs are not interchangeable. I only have t 5's now but did have t 12's (VHO's) and am very happy with them. I had my par checked and In a 75 gal tank with 236w (6 36" bulbs) it was reading 92 on the sand and 150 about half way up. My clams appear very happy.

For reference, the "t" rating corresponds to the size (width) of the bulb base. Each "T" is 1/8", so a T5 is 5/8" base and a T12 is 1.5" so the end caps wouldn't be the same.

An Icecap 660 can drive VHO's and PC's, but I don't know if T5's work on the same type of specs. If they do, I would say you could use the 660. Try e-mailing Icecap. They told me it was fine to use a 660 with PC's back before they marketted anything for PC's.

any one else do a par reading on their t5s? whats the par have to be to do an sps tank?i considering doing an all t5 tank next.

I and several other people use T5s in our SPS tanks... I believe IC 660's can be used with all manner of fluorescent bulbs.

Not all T5 fixtures or retros are created equal... The par you get from them is going to be based on several different factors including but not limited to: number of bulbs, type of reflectors, active cooling, type of bulbs, size of tank, and overdriving.

There's a lot more info on RC on the topic but suffice to say they've been in use long enough now to be a proven lighting alternative to halides for reef tanks and even SPS only tanks. Most of the European Tanks of the Month from RC all use T5s. That being said, if I had to do it all over again I might go with halides this time around as the new reflectors out there even up some of the advantages that t5s had over halides.

Back