What's the difference?

bhodges82

Supporting
Reaction score
200 micron mesh filter socks vs 200 micron felt filter socks, i would like to hear some opinions on the benefits of either. Do you prefer one over the other? Why?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nice. I like the mesh because they're easier to clean but I think they stay pretty true to the 200 micron size. In my experience, the 200 micron felt filter socks will get loaded with detritus and you'll start to see the actual quoted micron size decrease. Have you ever heard that a filter functions better once there's a little bit of stuff trapped in it? Or remember those old school diatom filters that only functioned once the filter material was loaded with diatom dust? Think something like that. I run felt socks when I'm in town because they get loaded up a lot quicker causing me to change them out much more frequently. But when I'm on the road, I'll run a mesh with the understanding that it will still function without overflowing for a much greater period of time. However, there's still a lot of stuff in the mesh one's so you want to change them out regularly so they don't put off a bunch of nitrates.

Following... I've only ever used felt.

I think I should take a look at getting some mesh ones. Nice post.

There used to be a lady online that would make felt and/or mesh filter socks a custom size for like $2-3.00 each. She was legit but the last time I used her was 2008. Let me see if I can find her info. I actually use a plastic bread container flipped long-ways with a hole drilled in the top. She made filter socks that fit perfectly. They're longer than usual and a bit wider to fill out the space and give it more surface area.

in my experience, felt catches detritus faster and hold them in while mesh is easy to clean and let's the detritus go when the pores are clogged.

so they are opposite of the same coin. do you want polished look for longer time (felt) or do you want easier time during cleaning and possibly more quantity to clean (mesh).

Back