What's the pH of your RO water?

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
Does it vary a lot? Mine is 9.4 straight out of the filter. After salt mixing it goes to 8.2-8.3, which is great but as I get due for a WC my tank pH creeps UP, has gotten as high as 8.6 with no dosing of anything.

I'm a little confused as it seems most people have to do something to UP their pH, and mine seems to need something to keep it down.

What are you using to test the PH on your RO water? Can you use the standard high range tests even though there's no salt in it?

Whatever it is from the tap/RO, don't worry about it. pH is the relation of hydrogen and OH ions in solution. When you add salt (any amount), that number is more relevant.

After you add salt and then let the saltwater sit there, it should go up a little - usually it goes down a up a little unless you mix. This can be attributed (at least partially) to CO2 lowering the pH when you mix (and the opposite when it's just sitting there). An airstone will help balance things out, providing additional surface area to air.

I'm using a "pen" type meter. I do need to get some reference fluid to make sure it's right, though I don't see a way to calibrate it. I just don't know what is causing my pH to rise over time in my DT... no reactors or anything, just standard stuff.

I don't like the idea of weird things happening without my knowing why. As of now, just FYI:

SG 1.024
pH 8.4
temp 80
no ammonia, trites or trates
phosphate test shows zero but I don't buy that
dKH 12 (last tested two weeks ago)
Ca 400 (and rising slowly w/Seachem Calcium)
Mag 1050 (only started testing for that after buying a kit last night at the meeting)

If you'd like, you can do an experiment:

- fill a glass with water (tap or tank - doesn't matter)
- add your pH meter/pen
- let it sit for 10+ minutes
- note the pH
- stir the water
- watch the pH drop

Wait a few mins, and the pH will rise. Again, this is due to the CO2 being absorbed from the atmosphere, creating carbonic acid, which acidic, and lowers the pH.

So any ideas why my pH rises in the DT? I have plenty of flow and aeration happening (good surface agitation on the top and lots of action in the sump/skimmer).

Ah- display tank is a completely different beast; from your original post, I thought you were talking about only your makeup water.

I'd test your calcium and alkalinity, and then check out a couple of Randy Holmes-Farley articles on calcium and pH.
a>.

My RO/DI always reads in the mid 7's pH. My big issue is it tests 0-1 dkh and with my high evap rate I have to watch my tank carefully. I'm actually testing dosing my RO/DI with buffer to try and keep it stable. For reference I evap about 1/2 gallon daily in my 28 gallon on a very hot day when the fans run alot.

mojo;356074 wrote: Ah- display tank is a completely different beast; from your original post, I thought you were talking about only your makeup water.

I'd test your calcium and alkalinity, and then check out a couple of Randy Holmes-Farley articles on calcium and pH. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.php">Check this one out</a>.[/QUOTE]

Good read. If anyones curious about water issues i just finished reading a book on it that was really informative. Some of it was a little in depth for me but it is well worth a read:

[IMG]http://www.amazon.com/Water-Chemistry-Marine-Aquarium-Tullock/dp/0764120387">http://www.amazon.com/Water-Chemistry-Marine-Aquarium-Tullock/dp/0764120387</a>

mojo;356062 wrote: Whatever it is from the tap/RO, don't worry about it. pH is the relation of hydrogen and OH ions in solution. When you add salt (any amount), that number is more relevant.

After you add salt and then let the saltwater sit there, it should go up a little - usually it goes down a up a little unless you mix. This can be attributed (at least partially) to CO2 lowering the pH when you mix (and the opposite when it's just sitting there). An airstone will help balance things out, providing additional surface area to air.
Thank you, Chris.

Keep in mind that CO2 in mains water is seldom removed by RO membranes and generally is not affected by the DI membranes as the RO-treated Water passes through this part of the filter.

Good areation of the final RO/DI either via fountain or by good circulation with a pump pointed at the surface (may take 24 hrs) will degas water that is high in CO2 content, as well as equiibrate water low in CO2 capacity. Areas with naturally high level of hardness my exhaust RO/DI filter media quickly, and act to spill over calcium carbnate as a result. Check your mains water for its basic composion (availalble from your muni-water company).

HTH

tdwyatt;356258 wrote: Thank you, Chris.

Keep in mind that CO2 in mains water is seldom removed by RO membranes and generally is not affected by the DI membranes as the RO-treated Water passes through this part of the filter.

Good areation of the final RO/DI either via fountain or by good circulation with a pump pointed at the surface (may take 24 hrs) will degas water that is high in CO2 content, as well as equiibrate water low in CO2 capacity. Areas with naturally high level of hardness my exhaust RO/DI filter media quickly, and act to spill over calcium carbnate as a result. Check your mains water for its basic composion (availalble from your muni-water company).

HTH

Thanks for the input. FYI, my RO is aerated well all the time, whether it is mixed or unmixed. Now, my water is hard... well water, not municipal. I know it can kill my filters early, but this is a unit that since new has only made about a hundred gallons, maybe a hundred twenty tops.

I DID find, as suggested, that the pH drops after it has spent some time in the container as opposed to straight from the hose... but it is still much higher than most people are reporting. My make up water is about a week old, and checks 8.2 so it isn't rising purely from age. Something in my DT is making it creep up.

cr500_af;356262 wrote: Thanks for the input. FYI, my RO is aerated well all the time, whether it is mixed or unmixed. Now, my water is hard... well water, not municipal. I know it can kill my filters early, but this is a unit that since new has only made about a hundred gallons, maybe a hundred twenty tops.

I DID find, as suggested, that the pH drops after it has spent some time in the container as opposed to straight from the hose... but it is still much higher than most people are reporting. My make up water is about a week old, and checks 8.2 so it isn't rising purely from age. Something in my DT is making it creep up.
the hard water is naturally going to have a neutral shifting to high pH, and will tend to neutralize any acids that do appear. The pH of calcium carbonate (hard water) will tend to graduly creep up over time.

note the following charts :

Calcium ion solubility as a function of
CO2 partial pressure at 25 °C (Ksp = 4.47×10&#8722;9)
(atm) . . . . pH . . . . [Ca2+] (mol/L)
10&#8722;12 . . . . 12.0 . . . . 5.19 × 10&#8722;3
10&#8722;10 . . . . 11.3 . . . . 1.12 × 10&#8722;3
10&#8722;8 . . . . 10.7 . . . . 2.55 × 10&#8722;4
10&#8722;6. . . . . 9.83 . . . . 1.20 × 10&#8722;4
10&#8722;4 . . . . 8.62 . . . . 3.16 × 10&#8722;4
3.5 × 10&#8722;4 . 8.27 . . . . . 4.70 × 10&#8722;4
10&#8722;3 . . . . 7.96 . . . . . 6.62 × 10&#8722;4
10&#8722;2 . . . . 7.30 . . . . . 1.42 × 10&#8722;3
10&#8722;1 . . . . 6.63 . . . . . 3.05 × 10&#8722;3
1 . . . . . . . 5.96 . . . . 6.58 × 10&#8722;3
10 . . . . . 5.30 . . . . . 1.42 × 10&#8722;2

Equilibrium Pressure of CO2 over CaCO3
550 °C . . . 0.055 kPa
587 °C . . . 0.13 kPa
605 °C . . . 0.31 kPa
680 °C . . . 1.80 kPa
727 °C . . . 5.9 kPa
748 °C . . . 9.3 kPa
777 °C . . . 14 kPa
800 °C . . . 24 kPa
830 °C . . . 34 kPa
852 °C . . . 51 kPa
871 °C . . . 72 kPa
881 °C . . . 80 kPa
891 °C . . . 91 kPa
898 °C . . . 101 kPa
937 °C . . . 179 kPa
1082 °C . . 901 kPa
1241 °C . . 3961 kPa
<span style="font-size: 11px"> charts courtesy CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 44th ed. </span></em>

At atmospheric levels of ambient CO2 the Ksp of CaCO3 indicates the solution will be slightly alkaline with a maximum CaCO3 solubility of 47 mg/L. As ambient CO2 partial pressure is reduced below atmospheric levels, the solution becomes more and more alkaline as CO2 exceeds the solubility concentration of the water now at atmospheric [CO2] and pressure... At extremely low(relative to pressures underground), dissolved CO2, bicarbonate ion, and carbonate ion largely evaporate/dissociate (depends on w3hich ion)from the solution, leaving a highly alkaline solution of Ca(OH)2, which is much more soluble than CaCO3. Note that for p = 10&#8722;12 atm, the [Ca2+][OH-]2 product is still below the solubility product of Ca(OH)2 (8×10&#8722;6). For still lower CO2 pressure, Ca(OH)2 precipitation will occur before CaCO3 precipitation. (think about kalk solutions at room temp and pressure). As ambient CO2 partial pressure increases to levels above atmospheric, pH drops, and much of the less soluble carbonate ion is converted into a much more soluble bicarbonate ion, which results in higher solubility of Ca2+ as well (bicarbonate I much more soluble in the presence of bicarbonate than in the presence of carbonate)..

The effect of the latter is especially evident in day to day life of people who have hard water. Water in aquifers underground can be exposed to levels of CO2 much higher than atmospheric. As such water percolates through calcium carbonate rock, the CaCO3 dissolves according to the second trend. When that same water then emerges from the tap, in time it comes into equilibrium with CO2 levels in the air by out gassing its excess CO2. As a resut, the ph gradually rises as hydroxyl become the predominant anion. This will pass through RO/DI filters in its underground form to gradually react as such in an open container.

HTH

Back