whats the recipe for effortless waterchange

dan30097

Market
Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting back into hobby again. I want to know what is the recipe to effortless waterchanges?

Starting off with a pump that can push water directly up a story. any other ideas to be able to do it will be helpful.

A well plumbed system. I have pipes in my tank that drain exactly 30 gallons outside of my house and also recirculate it from my return pump with a turn of a couple of ball valves and a check valve to ensure i don't accidentally flood my house and drain 30 gallons into my already 2/3 full sump if my return pump dies.

I also plumbed my RO/DI into my sump closet and have the tank above my sump for easy refilling via gravity while being pumped into my DT...

An Apex controller and 2x sumps can do that, at least it will automate it for you.

I have an alcohol (methanol) fed denitrification filter that came as close as anything to not needing water changes.

Sure will, but, it won't cut the holes through my walls, and plumb the system to my outdoor drain. LOL.

Haven't graduated to the apex yet, but, it's on the way. +1 on the Apex...

I drain 50 gallons straight into the toilet and then hook up a mag 18 from my 80 gallon vat in the garage and pump it right back into the tank. Even with that setup I get lazy and don't want to do it.

ichthyoid;840957 wrote: An Apex controller and 2x sumps can do that, at least it will automate it for you.

I have an alcohol (methanol) fed denitrification filter that came as close as anything to not needing water changes.

Ich,
Are you referring to the aquariapure system? or something similar? I had read one of the advantages to those are less water changes, but by less are we talking once every couple of months? My nitrates generally stay at 0 or right at it so I kind of put this system "denitrifcation" to the side thinking I didn't really need it. But if it really does reduce them as much as advertised I may have to revisit them.

Also, i came across a guy not to long ago who was purchasing a tank from me and he said in the year he has had his 180 gallon up and running he has never once done a water change. He basically chalked it up to having macro in a fuge, didn't really explain to much more. However, he didn't strike me as someone who didn't know what he was doing as he has 7 tanks up and running in his house and has been in the hobby for 15+ years. Wonder if he was using something like this to reduce or even eliminate water changes altogether.

ddaddy2420;842587 wrote: Ich,
Are you referring to the aquariapure system? or something similar? I had read one of the advantages to those are less water changes, but by less are we talking once every couple of months? My nitrates generally stay at 0 or right at it so I kind of put this system "denitrifcation" to the side thinking I didn't really need it. But if it really does reduce them as much as advertised I may have to revisit them.

Also, i came across a guy not to long ago who was purchasing a tank from me and he said in the year he has had his 180 gallon up and running he has never once done a water change. He basically chalked it up to having macro in a fuge, didn't really explain to much more. However, he didn't strike me as someone who didn't know what he was doing as he has 7 tanks up and running in his house and has been in the hobby for 15+ years. Wonder if he was using something like this to reduce or even eliminate water changes altogether.

I have this:

http://www.northcoastpets.com/denitrifying_filters.htm">http://www.northcoastpets.com/denitrifying_filters.htm</a>

If you are keeping your nitrates at zero, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Back