What's this little worm?

sharktopus_prime

Supporting
Reaction score
I saw a few of these start to swim toward the top of the tank after the tanks lights were off, but I opened the canopy to clean up a little alkalinity solution that dripped on the edge. They were seemingly swimming to the top of the tank (5 or 6 of them).

Any ideas? It's translucent with funny looking innards... Check out the larger one I caught in a net.
7dd745223387f00ef9d212e4814b5ad9.jpg

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I've never seen them swim around and it doesn't have the tiny bristles on the sides either. Well, it looked like a reef thug, so I booted it from my reef.

Polychaete worms, which include bristle & fire worms, consist of over 10,000 other species of marine worms. Trying to identify this one without a textbook on them would be next to impossible.

My main concern would be whether they are reef & fish friendly.

The reproductive segment of Palolo worms detach and float to the surface during waning moons, to release eggs & sperm. These are also used as a food source by Polynesian cultures. This may be possibly what you’ve got.

The reproductive segment of Palolo worms detach and float to the surface during waning moons, to release eggs & sperm. These are also used as a food source by Polynesian cultures. This may be possibly what you’ve got.

Thanks for taking the time to help me figure out what that work was. I really appreciate the help. I think I will want to find books that help with this sort of thing, going forward.

It's crazy how many critters end up in our reefs unnoticed for so long. I like to use a small flashlight to look at my tank at night and see all sorts of things you never see during the day in there. I have tons of pods, lots of bristle worms, baby snails, berghia and all kinds of stuff that comes out at night only.

Back