Whats this?

Whatskillz

Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah ik.. I dont quarantine
Got it from last and was well for a week. It started rubbing on the rock and now has this
I think I see one black spot on the main body but idk.
Could it be ich?
No other fish has anything
20201214_195241.jpg20201214_195235.jpg20201214_195145.jpg20201214_195232.jpg

Always hard to tell from photos but I don't see anything that would indicate ich or velvet. Could be some kind of infection or parasite that is causing the fish to flash and cause markings. My tangs occasionally do stuff like this but it usually goes away after a few days. It looks overwise healthy, how is it acting?

The way I look at it like this. What can you and what are you willing to do about it?

- If it is Ich/Velvet or something otherwise super contagious it is too late, your tank is infected. You need to pull all your fish from the tank, treat and start the whole fallow process. Or it might not be Ich/Velvet and that's a giant waste of time. Though it has some cons, waiting until more conclusive signs appear is a more measured approach.
- If it is some sort of internal injury, there really isn't anything you can do but be supportive and hope it recovers.
- If it is some sort of superficial skin damage, there isn't much you can do either. Maybe an anti-fungal or bacterial dip, but it doesn't look infected or inflamed.

If it were my fish I would (1) irrationally obsess and fret about it (2) support the fish with good conditions and (3) observe. Taking the wrong turn can be just as detrimental as waiting too long. I prefer to be deliberate when and if I choose to intervene.

Usually velvet looks very similar to ich but much smaller and numerous.

It looks more like a early bacterial infection to me or it could be uronema but that is not very common outside of chromis and damsels.

Is there any redness around the area of the sore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tang is swimming next to the other fish with its fin up. Looks like it want to other fish to pick something off of it. Seems like its itchy. Other than that its eating fine and swimming around good.

No redness or swelling. Its just like the skin on the "wound" is scratched off.
There is some black around it too

Yea i believe maybe it scratched on a rock and it might be an early bacterial infection if it were me i would keep an eye on it if it starts to look worse you might have to treat it with antibiotics in a seperate tank

I’ve over the past several months lost numerous fish to something similar. It’s been a nightmare. Trap it and get it into a QT tank immediately. I will never, ever not QT again, learned the hard, heartbreaking and expensive way. I had to take a three pronged approach. Copper, PraziPro and Metroplex/Kanaplex (not all at same time, in succession). Once they get an infection like that they don’t overcome it. My approach dealt with parasites internal and external, bacteria and fungus. I was only able to SAVE one fish. He’s doing very well now considering how ill he was. The rest died before I could catch them.
My best advice is to take my advice lol...don’t do what I did before I segregated and treated.

Back