Whats This ????

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
So we are fraggin some xenia. I used some bridal veil. After a few days I pulled it off and (along with lots of the usual critters) I see 3 of these guys in my frag pail.

It looks and moves around like a brittle star.

Is it??

337579305_wQanv-XL.jpg
alt="" />

looks like one to me i have one of those equally as small in my nano tank and thats what i think it is......although i havent done much research on it cause that and some LR is the only thing in my nano so i have nothing for it to destroy if it is something bad

Shrimps suck anyways. Am I the only shrimp hater? They destroy LPS, for sure, if you bother to feed it.

But anyways, I have a couple of those. I like them for CUC

Honestly, I'd take them out if you enjoy feeding the LPS any at all. THey are extremely greedy, and will drop food just to rip it away from something else. THere is no way I know to feed any sessiles and prevent shrimp crime without guarding the coral with a net, hand, stick or something. And that is time consuming and annoying. I have been shrimp free for a few months, and have a hawk fish and big brittles to murder any that I carelessly throw in.

Barbara;201233 wrote: Baby brittle star. It would have come in on a coral, live rock or macro algae. Have you received any of that from a fellow reefer lately? I know I have tons of them, and when I got some chaeto from Brandon and Jeremy, it was teeming with them. Now they're all over the corals in my tank too. They seem to particularly like the SPS. Good scavengers; totally reef safe.

Hmm...actually yes Barbara. I did pick up a few things this past weekend. I have a large brittle star too, but this is the first time I have seen mini's.
Thanks.

Akopley;201241 wrote: until they get big...then they start picking off your shrimp.

Uhh...for real?
I have a large one that kind of shares the same rock with one of my fire shrimp. They have been together about 6 weeks now. Come to think of it, he does kind of "pester" the shrimp at feeding time.
I'll keep an eye on him.

Barbara;201243 wrote: Those little ones rarely do. I'm not sure if they're a different kind, or what, but reports/comments/observations all indicate the "baby brittle stars" stay pretty small.

Now some time back I purchased 2 big ones from an LFS; a green one and a black one. They beat the crap out of everything in the tank. I finally had to take them back and trade them in for the more mild mannered serpent star that I have today.

I actually have one of each. So far... so good!

corvettecris;201274 wrote: Shrimps suck anyways. Am I the only shrimp hater? They destroy LPS, for sure, if you bother to feed it.

But anyways, I have a couple of those. I like them for CUC

Shrimp hater???

I like da shrimps! In fact I enjoy the inverts as much as anything. I wouldnt mind setting up a small invert only tank.

Is it just shrimp in your <u>tank</u> you dislike Chris?
What about a big deep fried fatty with a little cocktail sauce.MMM
:eek:

I like some inverts, but just not shrimps. I do like eating them. Yummy. I just like to hand feed LPS, and the shrimp prevent that. It is their inherent greed that makes me so mad.

BTW Barb, where is my frag of the Birdsnest? Boohooo...

Back