What's your light schedule?

geno

Market
Reaction score
I'm just curious -- when do your lights come on and go off?

I have the actinics come on at 8 am then the MH at 10:30 am -- the MH go off at 4:30 pm and the actinics go off at 9 pm. The 8 LEDs stay on 24/7.

Does that seem reasonable -- or would you recommend something different?

I don't have an algae problem (any more), I guess the snails and sea hare have done their job. Frankly, I'm concerned that there may not be enough algae for them to eat.

Look forward to your thoughts.
-gene

My T-5 Actinics come on at 9:00am and go off at 9:00pm
My 2x 175W Halides Come on at 10:00am and go off at 7:00pm.

What are you trying to keep. IMHO, you need to think about running your Halides at least 8 hours if not even 9. The more I read about Photo-absorbtion in corals the more I realize that longer light cycles are better then the off and on and off and on approach.

Brandon,

Right now I have a small clam, frogspawn, hammer (anchor) coral, daisy coral -- I guess all LPS stuff (I think I'm too new to venture into SPS).

My MH are 3 x 150 and 4 x 96 Actinics.

So, you're recommending I extend the time the MH are on. I'm game!

What size tank and what color temp of Halide bulbs.

Ya, I would bump you halide schedule up by about 2 hours to start with, see if you see a change, for the better or the worse. That would be my advice.

the tank is a 125g and I don't know the color rating on the MH

the unit is a 72" Outer Orbit fixture

Ok, your tank being 22" tall and having 150W halides, I would really think about upping your light cycle a bit. See what happens. There are better ways to control algae, IMHO, then light cycle anyways. You might also want to get the clubs PAR meter and check your PAR ratings.

Gonna do it.

Will re-program my ACJr tonight before going to bed

Brandon, see my reply on the nem question -- would like your advice.

Xyzpdq0121;187886 wrote: My T-5 Actinics come on at 9:00am and go off at 9:00pm
My 2x 175W Halides Come on at 10:00am and go off at 7:00pm.

What are you trying to keep. IMHO, you need to think about running your Halides at least 8 hours if not even 9. The more I read about Photo-absorbtion in corals the more I realize that longer light cycles are better then the off and on and off and on approach.

in that case, why not leave the lights on all the time?

ZDaytonaRoadster;187922 wrote: in that case, why not leave the lights on all the time?

Two reasons:
1) there is a limit to how much light a coral can absorb (albeit, we normally will not approach that level) and
2) corals and fish need a dark cycle. That is when fish rest and many corals feed. It is when CO2 levels raise and help with Ca production and other biological functions. Running light 24/7 would be a very bad thing.

Oh Ya, reason 3) it would cost you 2 times as much to run your lights and my pocket book needs a down cycle too! ;)

ZDaytonaRoadster;187922 wrote: in that case, why not leave the lights on all the time?
Because photosynthesis actually needs a rest period.

I agree with upping the time the halides. I just recently bumped mine from 8 to 10 and have noticed a significant increase in my SPS growth and no increase in algea.

Xyzpdq0121;187929 wrote: Two reasons:
1) there is a limit to how much light a coral can absorb (albeit, we normally will not approach that level) and
2) corals and fish need a dark cycle. That is when fish rest and many corals feed. It is when CO2 levels raise and help with Ca production and other biological functions. Running light 24/7 would be a very bad thing.

Oh Ya, reason 3) it would cost you 2 times as much to run your lights and my pocket book needs a down cycle too! ;)

ok, makes sense, you dont know till you ask :)

Actinics = 8 am - 10pm
Main lights = 10 am - 8 pm
Lunar lights = 9:30 pm - 8:30 am
Fuge and Frag tank lights = 10pm - 8 am

Back