Whelks

reeftankjunkie

Supporting
Reaction score
After buying a beautiful crocea clam from Tim at Keen Reef yesterday, I woke up this morning to find that it had been attacked and eaten by whelks that I didn't even know I had. Does anyone know if these things have any natural predators , or is it simply a matter of picking out all of them you can see by hand?

They were the bigger Whelks. I guess I always thought they were nassarius snails. I managed to pick off about 10 of them this morning.

what do they look like? can you post a pic?

It was totally my fault for not knowing the difference between a nassarius and a whelk. I'll get another clam from him in a few months as soon as I get all the little buggers out of my tank. I wonder how whelks taste with butter?:D

Check this out. This is how I got a positive ID.

a>

man that really sucks man you pretty much bought them an expensive meal ....and i know that the clams were beautiful cause i seen them all ....you might want to try one of those pills that kill of all your crustations and get a new clean up crew

thanks. I'm scared to add my clams now! I'm going to be up all night watching when I add them to see if any whelks appear!

From what I've read, they are night time scavengers mostly, and will kill and eat other snails.

A whelk is simply any snail that is predatory. Generally if they move fast they're whelks. Although considered reef safe, many other people consider nassarius snails to be whelks as they don't eat detritus and only go for fresh stuff. I don't keep them as they don't seem to have much functionality besides somewhat stirring the sand.

Back