When a shrimp molts...

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
does it leave a "complete" exoskeleton, with legs and antennae? Or did my peppermint, who was acting fine last night, die during the day today?

I can't get a visual because it stays in a lot, and I assume if it DID molt it'll lay low for a while.

Mine molts everything. Looks just like a clear shrimp. Antennae, everything, and he hides for a day or two, but looks clean as a whistle when he comes back out.

I'm glad to hear that! Gives me some hope that she's OK (my 4 y/o decided it should be named Patty, so it is from this day forward a lipstick-wearin' girl shrimp).

au01st;328116 wrote: Mine molts everything. Looks just like a clear shrimp. Antennae, everything, and he hides for a day or two, but looks clean as a whistle when he comes back out.

Same here. I have had my camel, peppermint and two hermits molt in the last 3 weeks. LOL

cr500_af;328117 wrote: I'm glad to hear that! Gives me some hope that she's OK (my 4 y/o decided it should be named Patty, so it is from this day forward a lipstick-wearin' girl shrimp).
Id have to see that!!

Barry, I've cussed more than once thinking my shrimp had bit the dust! I had an emerald crab molt one time and I picked up the remains and STILL thought it was a dead crab! "She" should be fine though...keep a close eye out.

Yep. The first time is always a shocker. What gets me is when I find the exoskeleton of a huge hitch hiker crab that I didn't even KNOW was in the tank! Oh yeah, and the MONSTER pistol shrimp that started out as a cute little 1" pistol and is now the size of half a city block! Yep, that always fun to find!

I had a peppermint molt the very night I brought it home... this past Saturday. Funny thing... the sally lightfoot crab (not the Galapagos variety...) I have had for a few weeks molted on the same night. The crab's exoskeleton was so complete I thought it was a dead crab... until I saw him the next day. Their shed exoskeletons were literally right next to each other on the sand bed. Coincidence they molted on the same evening in the same place? Or is it conspiracy?:D

Good news... she's already come out of hiding to eat. When I took the shed out of the tank, the only thing that made me doubt it had died was, I didn't think there was any way my crabs could have disposed of it that cleanly, and that quickly.

The wife was convinced too... she texted me at work and just said "I think the shrimp died".

I too was tricked by this molting. However, I HAD two peppermints and now only one has been seen in a week. I found what i believe is the remains of the other in the bottom cave of a big piece of LR and I can't get to it. Will this decomposing body cause me problems? I thought the conch snails and crabs would dispose of the body, but apparently not. I'm seeing an increase in algae growth ever since this shrimp went MIA.

The first time I ever saw a shimp molt, I was like holy crap, something ate him from the inside out. 2 days later, he came out of hiding. I was glad to see him!

Always thought it was cool until my green brittle passed the 20in mark. Then I witnessed my shrimp getting pimped by the star after a molt.
Oh sweet wild smelly vulnerability

My peppermints always hide after molting, however, my cleaner never skips a beat and is ALWAYS on it's normal ledge (and it molts at least every 2 weeks).

Back