When can you add an anemone?

twistoflime

Market
Reaction score
I have a rbta with two hosting ocellaris clownfish in my 30g. I'm wondering when is it ok to put it in the 420g system? The tank has been running for 1 1/2 months.

I've always waited for a tank to mature and stabilize(about 1 year) before adding clams and anemones. Although, that practice seems to have been thrown out the window around here.

I've read 6 months and 1 year.. either way, longer then 1 1/2 months

I put one in my tank after a month and its doing fine but I may have been lucky

I think the fact that you used man made rock that is not that established yet would make it a bad idea. I would wait at least another 3 months. Again you have a large system which helps, but that fact that the tank is very new doesnt help.

If you had used established live rock I would have said go for it...

I added about 20 pounds of LR from my 30g tank. I added the anemone after 2 months in my 30g, but that was with actual live rock. I know that now is too early but I'm just trying to plan were on my list to put the clowns on.

I had an awesome RBTA, one of the nicest I have seen...Long story short it did not make it and I base it on the fact that my tank was not as mature as it should have been. I added it into the tank around the 1-2 month period and it slowly started losing its color/shape and never recovered.

I would wait a little bit longer if I had to do it over again.

Back