When do you feed your sps

roundman

Market
Reaction score
Lights on, lights off, when lights go on or off ? I would think when the lights are on and the polyps are out but have read (somewhere) to feed in the dark.

Also what do you feed them?

Never. They get what they get when I feed the fish.

I don't directly feed my SPS. LPS yes. Only time the SPS gets food is when the fish poop or with what ever particulate matter is floating around in the tank. Generally speaking, the best time to feed SPS would be at night. Polyps are fully extended and ready to grab food.

I don't directly feed my SPS but when I feed my tank frozen cyclopeez they often float into the SPS polyps.

Hey Chris, how often do you feed cyclopeez? I just bought some this weekend, but haven't really messed with it yet.

almost never. I give them some oyster eggs maybe every other week or so.

corvettecris;170751 wrote: Hey Chris, how often do you feed cyclopeez? I just bought some this weekend, but haven't really messed with it yet.

I feed the Cap Bay cyclopeez (looks like a popsicle) usually twice a week about 10 mins. after my lights go off.

My fish eat cyclopeez very aggressively. But, my fish are smaller (2 percs).

I'm not real sure the benefit of feeding it. I was hoping the SPS would eat it, and possibly the smaller LPS, but it's hard to know for sure. I dont know much about it, but maybe it is also somewhat dissolved into the water column and absorbed by other corals as well? I was just gonna try a bar and look for any changes/improvements in growth/color.

All my fish flip out over cyclopeez.. There's a 5" Lunare Wrasse, a 4" YT, and a 5" Hippo... The only one that don't go into frenzy is a Dragon Goby

i feed cyclopeeze to the tank when i get home for work and then i put some in when the lights go off so the corals can get some more because of my tangs. i hand feed my brain corals a 1x1 piece of squid

My fish eat it as well if I feed it with the lights on. I use it because my maze brain and candycane feeder tenticles get covered in the stuff. I really believe that those corals seem brighter the day after I feed cyclopeez.

I feed my sps at night. It's easier because the polyps are more extended at that time. Its tough but I try to make sure each and every polyp gets a small piece of food. I alternate between daphnia, rotifers and brine naupali. You have to be REALLY good at chopsticks to pull this off. Fortunately, I trained with Miagi-san.

J/k. Let them eat poop. Just having fish feeds the corals. Many fish have inefficient digestive systems such that the excrement is actually quite nutritious. Yummy.

If you dont really have many fish, or any at all, can you supplement SPS feeding with your own poop? Or are our digestive systems too efficient?

Hmmm... Good question. Ours is pretty efficient, but I think the real problem with that is volume. For example, my poops are typically 2-3 courics. That would definitely cause an ammonia spike in all but the largest of tanks.

corvettecris;170844 wrote: If you dont really have many fish, or any at all, can you supplement SPS feeding with your own poop? Or are our digestive systems too efficient?

After yesterday all of my frags would have grown into giant colonies!!!! I don't know what got me but something got me good!! Lets just say I could have added it to my return section and it would have dispersed very nicely :) I feel much better today!!

Back