When do you get to the too many fish level?

gajeep94yj

Market
Reaction score
I am still in the process of Setting up a fish only tank. My first saltwater. at some point, when I get lights, we might try adding coral. But right now, fish only.

Are there any hard and fast rules, or even any suggested limits, as to how many fish you can have in a tank?

I have a 35 gallon display tank with a 25ish gallon sump. All fish are very tiny right now but will grow.

So far we have a fire fish (2") two clowns (1"each), bangai cardinal(1.5"), and just added a small Fox face (2") and orchid Doty back.

I know the Fox face will outgrow this tank but right now they are very small.

At what point will I know we have too many fish? Or do we already have too many fish?

So far they are all seeming to get along just fine. although the fire fish and cardinal never get out much.

Oh yea, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, 3 hermit crabs and a handful of snails

3 signs you have too many fish.

1. They constantly bump into each other
2. They constantly fight
3. high nitrates

I usually go by the aggression factor. For awhile in my DT, I just had everyone chasing everyone all the time. Got rid of a couple larger fisher and everything is back to peaceful. Not very scientific but has worked for me.

You're definitely maxed right now like i told you last night. Hopefully you guys can upgrade soon for that foxface or you can sell him for $10 profit in a month or two. :)

A rule of thumb that an "old-timer" once told me was that you get half the inches of fish as your water volume so a 20 gallon tank could have 10 total inches of fish. That's 5 - 2" clowns or whatever. I don't know how accurate that is be he never seemed to loose a fish.

Seth,
I think your fine with the fishes but I think you maxed out the tank size!
If your loving it, time for an upgrade. :)

:)
When I showed the wife the Fox face last night she immediately said get it! When I told her that it would get to big for the tank and she said, well I guess we are going to have to get a new tank!

She's a keeper.

Kid wants a dwarf flame angel but I don't think it is going to fit. This weekend I am going to do a water change so I'll have the watery checked to see if these fishes made a difference to the levels.

Sweet, take her for a trip to the lfs, that will push things along a little faster.... Lol

I'm not allowed to go there with out her. Although she is cheaper than I am. Probably end up looking for a deal on a used one

Nice, welcome to the addiction!
By the way be careful with the foxface, don't forget he is venomous.

Yep! The 6 year old loves that. He was telling everyone on the way to school this morning.

GaJeep94YJ;994920 wrote: :)
When I showed the wife the Fox face last night she immediately said get it! When I told her that it would get to big for the tank and she said, well I guess we are going to have to get a new tank!

She's a keeper.

Kid wants a dwarf flame angel but I don't think it is going to fit. This weekend I am going to do a water change so I'll have the watery checked to see if these fishes made a difference to the levels.
Ok so can I send mine to you for some "fish are friends" training? Mines a Nazi and tells me all the time my fish **** is everywhere. Cleary it's not. I keep nice small "stashes" (which get called piles for some reason?!?!?!?) by every tank. You never know what exactly you may need and when you may need it. Anyway sorry to hijack the thread. I just would like to know how much this spouse fish are friends training is going to cost.

porpoiseaquatics;994901 wrote: A rule of thumb that an "old-timer" once told me was that you get half the inches of fish as your water volume so a 20 gallon tank could have 10 total inches of fish. That's 5 - 2" clowns or whatever. I don't know how accurate that is be he never seemed to loose a fish.

Although this is generally true for freshwater fish, most marine fish experts do not feel this is appropriate for marine fish. There are too many other variables involved.

A 35 gallon display tank is not near large enough for a foxface, tang, angel (even dwarf), etc.

stacy22;994984 wrote: Although this is generally true for freshwater fish, most marine fish experts do not feel this is appropriate for marine fish. There are too many other variables involved.

A 35 gallon display tank is not near large enough for a foxface, tang, angel (even dwarf), etc.
+1 however as a juvenile fish you might be able to scrape by. But take into account that they grow and they grow quick!!! I would say don't go by the size the fish is now but rather the size they are full grown. And also not just length of the fish. You also have to account for width. An healthy 8 inch fish is going to be roughly 2 inch minimum wide at adulthood. So your mom or less taking the surface area of the fish rather than just inches.

My poor fire fish. He barely comes out of his cave to eat. When he does come out he shoots back in when ever any other fish comes to that side of the tank.

Back