When is a BTA too big?

dannybradley

Market
Reaction score
This is one growing nicely in one of my client's tanks. It's split once, and then doubled in size. It is not fed directly, but is under a 400w 20kk.

And Raj, here's that head of frogspawn I got from you a few months ago...
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
359250=17545-0618091310.jpg
>
359250=17545-0618091310.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0618091310.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
359250=17546-0618091335.jpg
>
359250=17546-0618091335.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0618091335.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

That's a nice one :)

Here's 2 in my "original" client's tank. The client has been with me just over 9 years now. The original, average sized BTA went in a few months after the tank was set up circa November 2000. Last year their old tank sprung a leak so the tank was replaced and lighting changed from 2 x 65 w PC to 4 x 24W T5HO. They were in a 52 corner hex, now they are in a 54g corner bow.

Over the years I've removed 4 or 5 clones and always leave 2 in the tank. They host a spawning pair of skunk clowns that have been there about 7 years or so.

hickoryflat_2.jpg
alt="" />

>

IMO some, yes. I've had good results with LTA and BTA.

The client does not spot feed these either - but the clowns do.

Jenn

In my opinion, as long as the tank is mature enough and stable enough, yes. I've got plenty of clients keeping BTA and the occasional LTA under PCs and more recently, T5HO.

Some may disagree with that - best to use one's own common sense - but in my experience, they do just fine under PC.

I have a small RBTA clone in my 12-g Aquapod. Once it gets too big, I'll move it to a larger tank, but for now it hosts my little oddball clown. The mother anemone of my little clone rivals the size of the one Danny posted, as well as the ones I posted - so I do expect it go grow like a weed.

Jenn

I was just thinking the same thing - did not intend to thread-jack.

I don't think they are ever too big...

The tank is just too small :D

Jenn

To keep anemones under lower light it requires higher levels of feeding. Intense light is necessary for intense coloration. I've kept BTAs under PCs effortlessly.

I had one BTA go through my overflow teeth. 6 months later I found 7 baby BTAs living in my sump with no light as filter feeders.

That being said, more light is better and extra feeding is not a really good excuse to keep an animal in less than ideal conditions, however possible.

Back