When to change filter socks?

typemismatch

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I've never had a sump with these before and well .... I just realized they probably need cleaning/replacing ;)

What's the usual schedule, I don't know what micron since they came with the sump. It's an RS-200.

So right now they're about 7 weeks in without being touched :D

-c

There are a few schools of thought on this.

Some would say you should change them every 3-7 days because after that they will become nitrate/phosphate factories. Others say you should change them when flow becomes an issue.

I tend to only use them when i'm fixing a specific issue (water quality), but when I do use them, i'll change them out once a week.

I've gone with the "when flow is an issue" school of thought however, when I did that, I noticed two things. At 200 microns, some detrius got through the mesh and that made for an even bigger cleaning headache. I also noticed that my nitrates increased. I now change them once a week.

Oh...and this depends on the micron and type of filter. Felt filters clog much faster than poly-mesh filters however they do a much better job of polishing the water.

And when you say change them, throw out the old ones or clean the old ones? I just took one out and it didn't appear very cleanable. I'll get a couple new ones today and pay attention to what they are, I know they're rectangle shaped which isn't too common and I'd guess felt.

I rinse mine in the sink and then throw them in the washing machine with a cup of regular bleach. They come out looking brand new.

I have 3 full sets so it makes the swap fast and simple. I turn the old one inside out and pre-rinse it off with the sprayer in the sink. Then I put them in the washer with a "clean" detergent (one with no scents or additives...Method has worked well for me) and bleach. Wash with double rinse and allow to dry...preferably in the sun but sometimes in the winter that can be tough.

porpoiseaquatics;1067018 wrote: I have 3 full sets so it makes the swap fast and simple. I turn the old one inside out and pre-rinse it off with the sprayer in the sink. Then I put them in the washer with a "clean" detergent (one with no scents or additives...Method has worked well for me) and bleach. Wash with double rinse and allow to dry...preferably in the sun but sometimes in the winter that can be tough.

Order socks here for best prices:
a>

When I actually used them it was either once a week or when they overflowed, whichever was first.

I had tons of them so I just waiting till I had a pile then put them in the washing machine with bleach, then another cycle with just water and air dry for a day.

Worked great for the 3 years I did it. I took them off and never saw any change in my tank. My sump collects more detritus and I have millions of feather dusters in there but no other changes. I just clean my sump twice a year which is much less work than the socks were.

I change mine when they clog.
I really don't think it's rocket science;)

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Back