When to Change RODI Filters

atlfishes

Market
Reaction score
I have filter guys 75gpd unit. Started out as a 5 stage unit and I've added another prefilter and DI filter.

DI filters are color changing and sediment filter will turn visiably dirty, so no problems there.

My tap water has a TDS of only about 65. I'm guessing I make 30 gallons a month. I have a duel in-line TDS meter and have TDS of 2 before DI and 0 after.

What factors to people look at when deciding to change some of these filters, time, Gallons made, TDS, other....?

Thanks

I noticed that my production had slowed way down, and then I saw thru the clear prefilter housing that it had turned an orangey-brown. I replaced the pre filter and the carbon filter and production ramped way up.

The way to tell if your DI needs replaced is to check your TDS. If it starts to climb, then you need to replace, in addition to any visual color changes. I think the DI color changes a couple weeks before it is totally exhausted. The best way is to monitor your TDS. This was told to me by Marc Levenson (Melev's Reef), who sells the unit I have, a 100 GPD RO/DI unit.
Dave

Interested to see responses here. I bought a 5 stage Typhoon 3 from Air Water Ice over a year ago. I have about 65 going in and still 0 coming out after over a year. Production is still acceptable. I am going to wait until my TDS starts showing a reading before I change anything out.

Darren24;210059 wrote: Interested to see responses here. I bought a 5 stage Typhoon 3 from Air Water Ice over a year ago. I have about 65 going in and still 0 coming out after over a year. Production is still acceptable. I am going to wait until my TDS starts showing a reading before I change anything out.

Darren,
My prefilters clogged too quickly, IMO, just after two months. But that said, we had two large water main breaks in the area during that time, so there may have been excess sediment in my tap water that clogged the prefilter faster.

We have very soft water here to start with, so it makes sense that DI would last longer. Prefilter replacement sets are available at Lowes for about $25.
Dave

Dave / D, Which filters should I change? I am ignorant about these things so please be specific. :)

Darren24;210065 wrote: Dave / D, Which filters should I change? I am ignorant about these things so please be specific. :)

Darren,
Take a look at this link, http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi_filter_change.html">http://www.melevsreef.com/rodi_filter_change.html</a> ,

instructions on how to change the prefilters. I have a 5 stage filter, so I replace the sediment pre-filter and the two carbon filters. They are the ones in the three containers below the R/O membrane. The DI unit is the one after the R/O.
Dave

Acroholic;210060 wrote: Prefilter replacement sets are available at Lowes for about $25.
Dave

They were only $9.99 at Cap Bay.... BooooHooooo!!!!!!!

corvettecris;210107 wrote: They were only $9.99 at Cap Bay.... BooooHooooo!!!!!!!

Was that $9.99 each, or $9.99 for three filters? That was probably for a single pre-filter. The Lowes sets I am referring to have three filters in them (sediment pre-filter, carbon pre-filter, and carbon post-filter).
Dave

Back