When will corals grow?

kelly3341

Reaction score
Ive been up and running a month. All parameters seem to be in line. My DKH is 11.2 which is the only thing that concerns me, but it came out of the red sea bucket this way. Radions set at coral lab setting.

When should I expect growth?

What type of corals .
There is a LOT more than settings that go into coral growth. It takes time and patience ;)
Keep in mind that if you have small corals the will grow slow. Bigger colonies have more mouths / surface area.
In other words: if you have 1 polyp, and it doubles to 2 polyps in one year; think of what would happen in you started with 40 ... In the same time you'd have 80.
Also be careful w the radions not to cook your corals. In general 60% is plenty of juice. 75 tends to be pushing it.
But to answer your question, you should notice growth in 6 mo to a year.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Go ahead and post your other tests too. No3 po4 ca.. Anything you can test, as it will help. If you've been running a month it's questionable if you should have animals in there anyway. Let's hope you've had a super cycle of some kind.
Otherwise things are going to get nasty in another month or so.

calcium 490
phosphate 0
nitrate .1
mag 1350
salinity 35ppm
temp 78

I used red sea reef mature cycle to instructions for a few weeks before stocking
This is my 2nd reef after a 6 year break. Last tank had 150 halides and florecent tubes combo. I just remember getting better growth last time around. Im using nopox dosing.

I'm sure some others will chime in with some ideas. LEDs will grow coral, but can be tricky to dial in.
What corals are you trying to grow?

Agree with Brandon. It sounds like your tank is still pretty new? If so, be patient, allow the tank to establish itself and for coral to adjust to their new environment. After everything is happy, coral will flourish.

kelly3341;1094167 wrote: Ive been up and running a month. All parameters seem to be in line. My DKH is 11.2 which is the only thing that concerns me, but it came out of the red sea bucket this way. Radions set at coral lab setting.

When should I expect growth?
First welcome to crack!!! Just kidding, this hobby is very exciting and stressful at the same time. 1 month in you're likely not going to notice any difference. Remember that you're looking at the tank everyday so the little growth that would occur in a few months might not be noticeable. Once you hit 6 months you'll notice a difference, especially if you can manage to keep parameters stable and most importantly no sudden changes. I found that with radion leds it's very easy to constantly make changes to the light. Every time you change the spectrum, corals would need time to adjust to the new spectrum. Best advice I can give it set it to your personal preference and leave it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I agree about the radions. Try not to tinker

Back