where can i buy acrylic to build a sump?

markl

Market
Reaction score
thinking of building a custom sump for my oceanic 33gal cube.where can i by acrylic local, and what thickness shoud i get.

thanks mark

Lowes will cut acrylic you whatever sizes you want. If you have the tools, I'd do it yourself. Their cut lines are pretty crappy.

im needing it for a complete sump not building one out of glass aquarium if i do it. does lowes sell thicker sizes? what thickness should i buy to fit under my stand .its going to be 17x16 .

2nd nature;145855 wrote: im needing it for a complete sump not building one out of glass aquarium if i do it. does lowes sell thicker sizes? what thickness should i buy to fit under my stand .its going to be 17x16 .

I used the thickest size of 1/4" when I built my sump for my 30G tank. I wouldn't go with anything thinner. It's plenty strong, but if you're paranoid like me, you might look for 5/16 or 3/8. You can buy Weld-On 16 from
a>.

i got acrylic from lowes 1/4" thick. also can i use aquarium sealent 100% silicone. or is there something that bonds acrylic together. thanks for the info so far. the plan is a 16 x 16 sump .how high should i make the walls of the sump?

2nd nature;146500 wrote: i got acrylic from lowes 1/4" thick. also can i use aquarium sealent 100% silicone. or is there something that bonds acrylic together. thanks for the info so far. the plan is a 16 x 16 sump .how high should i make the walls of the sump?

Don't use the aquarium sealent. Use Weld-On 16. It's much stronger. It's part # 7515A11 at http://www.mcmaster.com">www.mcmaster.com</a>

Buy a few extra tubes more than you think you'll use. They're cheap. I bought 4 tubes for my sump which is a similar size and used about 2.5 tubes.

Make your sump taller than you think you'll need. Here's what I did. If I could build mine again, I'd make the internal dividers taller, but they work fine as they are currently. It's only when the return pump is off (power outtage, feeding time) that the water level rises above the internal baffles.

16.5" total sump wall height
12.0" internal divider height
11.5" normal water level
13.5" water level during power outtage

McMaster was pretty expensive on their acrylic sheets the last time i looked. Another option would be
a>.  Definitely use Weldon for the joints.

CGill311;146523 wrote: Don't use the aquarium sealent. Use Weld-On 16. It's much stronger. It's part # 7515A11 at http://www.mcmaster.com">www.mcmaster.com</a>

Buy a few extra tubes more than you think you'll use. They're cheap. I bought 4 tubes for my sump which is a similar size and used about 2.5 tubes.

Make your sump taller than you think you'll need. Here's what I did. If I could build mine again, I'd make the internal dividers taller, but they work fine as they are currently. It's only when the return pump is off (power outtage, feeding time) that the water level rises above the internal baffles.

16.5" total sump wall height
12.0" internal divider height
11.5" normal water level
13.5" water level during power outtage[/QUOTE]

thaqnks again for all the help. this is the reason this is my fav reef site. so many locals helping out.

Back