where do I buy drill bit

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
ok so my brother in law is giving me 125 and i need to drill it so i need to know where i can get one of the drill bits and also the guide for the drill ....this is probably gonna be a folwr set up as he has used copper in it but thats ok with me cause i just wanted to do something simple
I wont be setting it up for a few months but just want to know were i can purchase this stuff
thanks
Victor

We loan our 1 3/4" drill bit for $5 day. You need a drill press too, and a lot of finesse.

It's a myth that if there's been copper used, the tank can't support inverts. Substrate would have to go, but the minute amount that *might* have absorbed into the silicone won't hurt anything.

Jenn

ares;332322 wrote: just to ask a stupid question, but is this a glass tank?

if so, ebay is the best bet for buying the bits, unless you can get them on loan.

no need for a drill press, I drilled 4 holes in 29g tanks with my trusty cordless craftsman drill, took about 2min per hole on the back deck. no putty, no nothing, just set the hose to run water across the surface and went at it.

You got lucky then. We've drilled dozens of tanks over the years - drill press, lots of water, and take your time. Going too fast can cause the glass to crack, as well as if it gets too hot.

Usually takes about 20 minutes to get a nice clean hole.

Suit yourself - but IMO the technique mentioned in the above post is risky.

Jenn

JennM;332290 wrote: We loan our 1 3/4" drill bit for $5 day. You need a drill press too, and a lot of finesse.

Victor may be in Florida by now ... long commute.

We've never used a drill press... Loren just, um, *presses*

Well, like I said - to each his/her own. I'd rather do it carefully with better odds of success, than take a chance and break the tank.

Ultimately it's up to the individual. Just sharing how *we* do it.

Jenn

JennM;332290 wrote: We loan our 1 3/4" drill bit for $5 day. You need a drill press too, and a lot of finesse.

Jenn

Great to know you have this service. Thanks!

I have a brand new bit for a 1" bulkhead. I believe it is 48 mm.

Your welcome to borrow it or if you want, I'll sell you the brand new bulk head and the bit for $20. Bought these to plumb the return from my sump, but then decided to leave the pump in the sump.

Also, have a drill press if you want to come help me clean out my self-storage unit :tongue:

Nice to hear from you Victor. Glad you're setting up down there. Any jobs in FL? I actually applied for a job with the DOT in Ft. Lauderdale. Sorry for the irrelevant threadjack.

Back