Where softies come to die

tngyen813

Market
Reaction score
My tank has been running for about 3 years now, at zoas and gsp were growing well but as time went by they started receding and close up. I haven't been able to grow GSP or Zoas for a while. I tested my water did not find anything abnormal. My LPS and RBTA are doing good, the clam is growing well. Any ideas guys?

i noticed when nitrates start to get higher in established tanks that my zoas seemed to slowly die away. I don't know if that was the cause but in my case that was the only thing out of whack. I increased my water changes and removed a lot of the sand and things improved. Not sure what else may have been happening and it's always been some what of a mystery to me why some zoas do great for a long time and then seem to melt away.

bob

Sorry to hear your having issues. When things go wrong, It's never fun trying to figure what the problem with our systems. Could you post your exact testing results, what salt mix you use, what are feeding your tank? I know I have an incredible hard time growing LPS (they love nutrient rich water) so I have 99% sps in my system. Have you been able to make sure you don't have any pests?

Any other things irritate those zoas (asterial star, pods...)? Were they close to any corals?

How much water are you changing and how often?

Jenn

also have you checked silicates? i had a similar problem in my old 60 cube cause i was using play sand which was leaching tons of silicates into the water

Most of the pods bother zoas, especially ampipods. They irritate the zoas and cause them to close up. Some even feed on those weak damaged zoas. Dipping the zoas + having a few pod eaters (mandarin goby ) is a few good way to keep them in check.

Ricky5415;1092339 wrote: Most of the pods bother zoas, especially ampipods. They irritate the zoas and cause them to close up. Some even feed on those weak damaged zoas. Dipping the zoas + having a few pod eaters (mandarin goby ) is a few good way to keep them in check.

im not going to say there aren't pods that bother zoas because there are but to say that most pods bother zoas is a way out there. ive had several tanks all but one of which had zoas and pods and i know tons of other reefers who have zoas and pods that have never had a problem. the majority of discussion ive seen on pods has been how to grow more of them as food and as a small addition to the clean up crew. so if most pods were a problem you would see a lot more threads about how to get rid of them or which ones to avoid and things like that.

Bcavalli;1092035 wrote: Sorry to hear your having issues. When things go wrong, It's never fun trying to figure what the problem with our systems. Could you post your exact testing results, what salt mix you use, what are feeding your tank? I know I have an incredible hard time growing LPS (they love nutrient rich water) so I have 99% sps in my system. Have you been able to make sure you don't have any pests?

Nitrate/nitrite 0, phos .5, I didn't check alk/cal. I use reef crystals, I do see a few flat worms but the waraase has been keeping them under control. The only time that I had some luck growing gsp and zoas was when the tank was about 5 months old, they grew well for a while then I neglected the tank because we had a new baby. After that I had hair algae everywhere. I slowed down my feeding and did 12 gallon water changed every week, it's 65 display with 20g sump and about 50lbs of Rock.

dball711;1092040 wrote: I'm with Brett might be pasts. Do you have any urchins?

No urchins, I have some flat worms but they are a recent tenant I picked up from not dipping

Back