Where to buy a couple Emerald Crabs?

maveri9720

Market
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to pick up a couple emerald crabs. I have a slight bubble algae problem, with alittle hair algae here and there. Not to mention, that almost everyone who has one says there cool and fun to watch.

Anyone know where I can pick some up at?

Anyone buy some from somewhere that actually took care of their nuisance algae problem?

Anyone ever had a problem with them? Worst I have found, is that they may/may not disturb zoo's.

Thanks.

Yea, I've seen a few people say that as well. Kind of a gamble, maybe 70/30 in favor of eating it, from what I have read.

you can have mine if I can catch and find him. ill let you know...btw I cant stand my emarld he is more trouble then he is worth.

Stroid;41191 wrote: you can have mine if I can catch and find him. ill let you know...btw I cant stand my emarld he is more trouble then he is worth.

Please elaborate.........

Twice I've ordered Emerald Crabs from Liveaquaria (with a bigger order) and the first batch turned out to be great valonia eaters, while the second batch won't touch it. Go figure.

I have noticed the second batch playing whak-a-mole with my SPS polyps, however...

jessezm;41194 wrote: Twice I've ordered Emerald Crabs from Liveaquaria (with a bigger order) and the first batch turned out to be great valonia eaters, while the second batch won't touch it. Go figure.

I have noticed the second batch playing whak-a-mole with my SPS polyps, however...

I'm sorry, but that is pretty dam funny. I can totally picture that too.

I guess that skews my percentages more towards 50/50.

Also, if I didn't mention before, I am looking locally. I only need these and a couple fighting conchs, so I am not looking to pay shipping costs for just these two inverts.

Almost all LFS sells them... Marine Fish has em, Capp Bay has em... I'm sure others do too; just call ahead to make sure they have it in stock.

Sally light foot works better for hair algae IMHO but I love both. The plus side to a sally is they leave coral alone, the bad side, people report that when they get to be about 6-12" they might eat fish. I say that if you have a 6-12" carb, it is time for drawn butter anyways!

I like fighting with my Sally LF it will battle my feeding stick as long as I let it. It's usually all over my Pom-Poms, it's eating something on it and then moves on the PP comes back out fine. My emeralds took care of the bubble algae that I had (only a small out break). What freaked me out was when one molted (sp) I thought I had a dead one. Later I saw the molted one, he looked like he just came out of a car wash and it was twice as big.

well my emerald crab didnt really cause way to much trouble besides trying to hack of my xenia and some of my zoas but i caught him in the act. my buddy reeferdawg had some mushrooms sliced up and watched him throw corals across his tank. I feel like they are very hit or miss crabs either they do a great job or do nothing at all. I tend to see them doing nothing at all more then being helpfull.

Stroid;41233 wrote: well my emerald crab didnt really cause way to much trouble besides trying to hack of my xenia and some of my zoas but i caught him in the act. my buddy reeferdawg had some mushrooms sliced up and watched him throw corals across his tank. I feel like they are very hit or miss crabs either they do a great job or do nothing at all. I tend to see them doing nothing at all more then being helpfull.

<span style="color: black;">I would say emeralds are better than you are giving them credit for. They may not always attack bubble algae like we want them to but they do constantly graze on algae. They graze like most snails and hermits and seem to more active a night.</span>

Cameron;41221 wrote: Stevhan and ItsFishyBusiness has great prices on emeralds.

I think I'll hit him up for 2 crabs and a couple conchs. I have only heard good things about him and he's a sponsor. Will give me an excuse to check his place out too.

Well, looks like it is going to be a craps shoot as to how well they are going to fair in the tank. Worse comes to worse, I'll just break out the butter and lemon............

Showtime305;41234 wrote: <span style="color: black;">I would say emeralds are better than you are giving them credit for. They may not always attack bubble algae like we want them to but they do constantly graze on algae. They graze like most snails and hermits and seem to more active a night.</span>
yeah you are probably right im just not a big fan of them

I am an emerald crab fan despite having my big one go ape with my xenia. If nothing else, they are often fun to watch and another critter in the tank to enjoy. All-in-all if you are going to have a crab it comes down to red leg hermits and emeralds for me. Past that a sally. I am sure there are some others that are relatively safe, but these are readily available and are generally not considered aggressive.

Back